• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2011 4500 C&C towing performance report

Just got back from a 1000 mile round trip with a friend and his 2011 C&C. I have to say that the only downside to this truck is the fuel milage, but what can you expect from a smogged 4 x 4 truck weighing 11k with 4.88 gears. The transmission and EB are the cat's azz when pulling a trailer. Went to Ohio with a 14k GN to pick up a tractor. Coming back the trailer was just a tad over 13k. The trip up was uneventful 12.6 mpg @ 68mph 10.8 @75mph. The Lie o meter was dead on the money vs. hand calculation +/- .1 each fill up. The trip back was smooth as well but 7.6 -7.9 mpg running 5 over the limit. Jellico was a good pull at a steady 60mph, there was more to be had but why risk it.Overall the 800 ft-lb. Cummins is a beast, with the heavy truck you could even tell the trailer was back there till you looked in the mirror. made the same trip about a month ago with my sig line truck, loaded going empty coming back with a hand calculated avg. of 13.64 mpg iirc might have been 13.94.The trailer weighed just over 11k and my truck was about 7k with two people and luggage. Same trailer both times.Conclusion: I'd have one if it was deleted and didn't cost some darn much. I also like the stability the duels give the truck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Good report. With his truck being a C&C it has 610 ft/lbs and 305 hp, vs your 325/610. Only the pickups from 11.5 up, with an auto trans get the 800 ft/lbs.I am surprised how light your truck is! With me in it, my truck was 8420 yesterday. Full tank, small tool box, chainsaw, tie-dows, etc, probably only 250lbs in cargo. Is your truck 2wd?

Good report. With his truck being a C&C it has 610 ft/lbs and 305 hp, vs your 325/610. Only the pickups from 11.5 up, with an auto trans get the 800 ft/lbs. I am surprised how light your truck is! With me in it, my truck was 8420 yesterday. Full tank, small tool box, chainsaw, tie-dows, etc, probably only 250lbs in cargo. Is your truck 2wd?

Yes, mine is 2wd. It weighs 6460 without me in it. I'm pretty sure his is 800 ft-lbs as well. It has the 6spd auto, and i'm pretty sure Dodge advertises the C&C trucks as having 305 and 800. In any event if his has only 610 like mine, mines worn out. Even accounting for the 4.88 gears it has alot more power than mine. I've driven the C&C with a 32 ft 20k GN behind it with 18k of tractors on it, and it flat walks the dog. Mine would be asking what the heck was I thinking, when I took off with a load like that. It would pull it, but it wouldn't like it. I'm talking at least 36k GCWR. I know mines not worn out, so either the 4.88 makes that much difference, or it has the 800 Ft-lb. download in it. :2cents:

• Staff

The C&C's are still 305/610, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/2012/ram_chassis_cab/capability/powertrain/ 4.88's make a HUGE difference, they have a 31% mechanical advantage over the 3.73's in your truck. His 6 speed auto is also geared far better for towing than your 48RE, so he puts more power to the ground that you do. You have the first vehicle I have ever seen weigh less than published curb weight. My advertised curb weight is 7259 and I have never seen my truck below 7700 EMPTY. I realize that all my extra filter, fluid, etc add up.. But I am 1200 lbs over "curb weight".

• 6 years later...
  • Owner

Final gear ratio to the ground makes a huge difference in pulling power. 4.88:1 ratio I'm curious of what size tires are on the truck as well. Funny how on the truck side everyone whines about the 4.10 gears but now the cab and chassis Dodge with 4.88 gears are more likable. Higher gear ratios might make them bit more short legged but the pulling power is surprising better in the 2k RPM realm.