• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Edge Juice "feel".. Is this normal?

I have to say that I've never really paid attention to it before, but I noticed something about my truck this past weekend...With the EJ w/A, 1st and changing into 2nd gear (5600 trans) rapping it up to around 2500-2800rpm each time (from a dead stop) seems almost lethargic in acceleration. But 3rd gear, the truck takes off like a rocket. Same with 4th, and 5th. It's not just due to the short gearing; at least it doesn't feel like it. It feels as though the truck has, say 200hp in 1st, 200hp in 2nd, and 300 in 3rd, and so on.Is that the ECM's control vs speed or something? Or is it in the Edge?

I'm not sure what causes that but I have noticed a similar feeling to my truck. I get a pretty strong jolt of power through 3rd gear and up. BTW how long does your truck take to warm up? I feel like since I installed my Edge the throttle is not as smooth until I significantly warm the truck up. Maybe this is just a diesel thing, but like taking off from a stop, the RPM will surge and you can actually feel the truck being "held back" until the it gets to operating temps and stays there for a while. And this is in 70-80 degree weather too. It's almost like the RPM rises in increments instead of one smooth motion.

• Owner

Normal... That's torque management in 1st and 2nd Gears but hit 3rd gear the smoke rolls and the truck sling shots out of the hole. :burnout2:Torque management is released at about 20-30 MPH.The only way to completely remove that is get a RADBox from BD and it will kill the instrument cluster but there will no longer be any torque management.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what causes that but I have noticed a similar feeling to my truck. I get a pretty strong jolt of power through 3rd gear and up. BTW how long does your truck take to warm up? I feel like since I installed my Edge the throttle is not as smooth until I significantly warm the truck up. Maybe this is just a diesel thing, but like taking off from a stop, the RPM will surge and you can actually feel the truck being "held back" until the it gets to operating temps and stays there for a while. And this is in 70-80 degree weather too. It's almost like the RPM rises in increments instead of one smooth motion.

Normal as well. The edge JwA doesn't apply the chip until it gets to 120-130 F if I recall correctly. I seem to recall that there was a setting in the old style attitude controller for this, but I am not sure. It's been a while since I had a Juice.