• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The lantern side or the Lighter Side.

MoparMom

• Owner

I tried ours out last night in the kitchen and its bright enough to move around in the house and light up enough area to see by. It's not a spot light but a defused area light. I also noticed there is a plug on the base for using a charger which is sold separately which I just might pick up too... :wink:

I use a solar "walkway" light as a outside light... has about 3 x 3" charging area. ($5.99 at bargain store) I have it sitting on a traffic cone for now to raise it but think a higher stick may be in order. My concept is to place the light some what away from the RV, to draw bugs away from the door rather than IN. It came with a single AA rechargeable battery installed.

here's what I used last weekend, camping. Inside the tent, it worked awesome.

Posted Image

While not in the tent, I sat it at the outside entrance to the tent. It lit up about 10ft radius. Used a white milk jug and an LED flashlight.

You can also use the translucent jugs, and they light up great, too, provided you fill them with water. The white jugs do not need the water.

I also placed sidewalk solar lights at each tether stake for the tent, so the kiddos didn't trip over the strings or stakes.

Great ideas gentlemen! I'm glad I threw that lantern in as a news-worthy item because your ideas are very helpful. I can use all of them. Thank you Rogan, Randy and Russ. Now I'll wash out a milk bottle, get some solar garden lights and apply your sound principals. Good ideas. Really simple common sense, but it works beautiful, doesn't it? Love Mom

Initially I was taken by the LED flashlights... as a result of experience, I have come to HATE the ones that use 3 AAA batteries. Short battery life, leaking batteries (AAAs seem more prone even in brand names), too many connections to corrode. I have a bunch of these lights, but I'm not buying any more. As they die they are going away... I've switched to LED flashlights that have 2 AAs in a row. The one in my reach is 7 LEDs. Twist but on/off... I do wish it had a button switch. Decent battery life, trouble free. At least I know it's going to work when I pick it up. Both in the house & camper, I have a few inexpensive "touch lights"... domed LEDs, press the lens to turn on... 2 AA batteries side by side. I have yet to have one fail. I use them in several places... don't laugh now... upside down (lens down). Why? Because upside down, it doesn't wreck my night vision.

Initially I was taken by the LED flashlights... as a result of experience, I have come to HATE the ones that use 3 AAA batteries. Short battery life, leaking batteries (AAAs seem more prone even in brand names), too many connections to corrode. I have a bunch of these lights, but I'm not buying any more. As they die they are going away...

I get what you're saying, but I've had opposite luck, to be honest. As a matter of fact, That little 3AAA 5LED flashlight burned for 2 nights in a row, from about 8pm, to around 7am each night, on the same set of batteries it had in it, from who knows how long ago.. It still works like a champ, even after that, with the same batteries. Must be Plutonium... And, it's push-button ;)

• Owner

Ok... Something I can toss out there in regards to batteries then... For AAA batteries... http://www.harborfreight.com/4-pack-nicd-rechargeable-aaa-batteries-47439.html For AA batteries... http://www.harborfreight.com/4-pack-nicd-rechargeable-aa-batteries-47440.html Much cheaper than buying AA or AAA name brand batteries and they are re-chargeable... :whistle:

After having store branded & off brand batteries leak (ruined my favorite mini-mag light), I have been using brand name disposeables in the big multi-packs from WM for flashlights. Honestly, I have had better luck (no leaks) with the brand name AAs, but still troublesome with the AAA size. I use a lot of rechargeables for other things, cameras & such. The 3 AAA flashlights I have... widely available here (discount stores & higher end seem to all carry the same type units)... have 9-12 LEDs. The 9s are like a tactical light, with base button (just counted the one on my desk). The others have an expanded head & a side button (silouette looks like the one shown earlier). I LIKE the lights... just can't stand the failure rate. It's not the electronics which fail either... it's the cussed mechanical parts... the cheap @ss plastic battery holder. BTW, vinager will dissolve alkaline battery corrosion... to a point... Perhaps fewer LEDs would draw less & have better battery life...

my TLR-1s tactical light for my handgun is tiny.. roughly .75" dia. by 2" long. It uses a camera-style 3v and single LED. It is bright as hell, and I've not replaced the battery in a couple years. I looked at it this weekend while cleaning the weapon, and no signs of corrosion on it.. It's a beasty little light.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Point well taken... I might be better off with fewer high end lights. I honestly have not upgraded lights in a few years... still have a couple of my Police D cell mag lights in service. My KelLight is retired... MagLights more waterproof...