• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

When it rains, it pours..............

Last year I had the dead pedal syndrome on my 2001 Cummins 3 hours away from home pulling our camper. I limped the truck home with the camper after our summer vacation. Anytime I would start from a dead stop, extremely slow acceleration. It would run down the interstate fine once up to speed. FF, I changed out the lift pump which must have been failing because it wasnt pumping enough fuel. Also replaced the stock exhaust to a 4", added 4 guages & installed the BHAF system. New tires, new ball joints, new power steering pump and I thought I was all set for awhile. Last week while hauling the trailer, I had the dead pedal syndrome once again everytime the tranny would shift. For about 1/2-second, the truck dogged down and then sped back up. I was thinking my injector pump so I brought it in. Injector pump is fine, they found that my wastegate was stuck. So while replacing that, they found out that my housing for the wastegate is cracked. I have not seen my truck yet but he told me on the phone it cracked where the wastegate is. Doesnt sound like the turbo housing is cracked, so, can I just buy the wastegate housing or do I need a new entire turbo?? Turbo's are expensive with the exception of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-2500-Ram-3500-Turbo-HX35W-Diesel-Turbo-Cummins-5-9L-1994-2001-/150843665334?fits=Year:2001|Make:Dodge&hash=item231efbabb6&item=150843665334&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr I called and talked to a rep there. He said the only thing different is the housing where the exhaust mounts to the back of the turbo. They are brand new and come with a 3 month warranty. I dont need more power so I just want the same size turbo. Anyone know good or bad about this product? Man I love my truck but when it rain, it pours................. Thanks

So while replacing that, they found out that my housing for the wastegate is cracked. I have not seen my truck yet but he told me on the phone it cracked where the wastegate is.

On the old Garrett T3s, as well as the IHI turbos (in the gas-world), we'd get some small cracks around and sometimes 'through' the wastegate flapper section of the housing. Most were mere hairline ones, and didn't really affect anything of significance. No, wonce they spread, and were wide enough to allow a fingernail to stick in the cracks, then it was time to replace (i.e.: upgrade ;) )

You could call around some of the vendor you might find a used exhaust housing from when people upgrade turbo parts. Exhaust housing can be replace as a separate part. That should save some money...

Any recommendations on vendors???

http://gosperformance.com/shop/ TH Racing (vendor on the site here) Diesel Auto Power another vendor here on the site) - doubtful? :shrug: Most all performance diesel shops have stuff laying around...

I have called about a dozen places with no luck. Looks like I purchase a stock one from gosperformance or spend a little more and upgrade. Decision, decisions..... :think: I am leaning towards the BD Super B Turbo Kit as I plan on keeping my truck for another 2 years..........or so...