• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

It's been really cold here the past week, highs in the high-teens.. I noticed Tuesday that it started doing something 'new'.. It shifts okay, for awhile. Then if I come to a stop and sit for a minute or so, it doesn't seem to want to engage 1st gear.. even manually, it doesn't want to do it. If I cycle the ignition, it seems to start using 1st again. I'm at a friggin loss with this damned thing...

What keeps O/D from locking are a bad brake light switch, bad trans temp sender or it's wiring or TPS. These instructions will tell you which wire is for the O/D: http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque%20...p%20Switch.pdf

You sparked a thought of something I'd forgotten.. Thank you! I used that diagram months ago to set up the lockup switch.. When I fixed some wiring on the PCM a week or so ago, I'd rewired the OD lockup wire back to original, as well as the TCC lockup. HOWEVER, I forgot to replace the relay and pull the jumper.. I just now went out to the parking lot and pulled the jumper and re-installed that relay. I'll see how it acts on the way home now.. :banghead::banghead:

Ok, it seems to be a little better for shifting. I still am forced to manually disengage OD in town, however, as it'll shift into OD early and slip badly under load. Over 30-35mph, and OD feels fine.Yesterday, we had an odd day, with clear skies and 70*F.. how weird..so, I took advantage and installed my new $21 RockAuto.com transmission line (the front one to side cooler), as well as used brass 1/2" union to repair the line that you're forced to buy from Dodge ($80) that goes from the forward one of the side cooler to the front-mounted cooler..The new line from rockauto needs a little tweaking to fit. It' a little short and over-bent, but I managed to get it to work and I do not see any future issues arising from the "adjustments" :)So after 3 or so months, I've finally gotten that line replaced. It's amazing how that small block-mounted trans cooler cools the fluid.. It must be hella efficient.

Sorry for the delays Rogan, I ended up getting stuck on night shift of a big shutdown the last 3 nights and havent tried calling Dean back. I finished my last night shift just a little bit ago, Ill get on the ball later on after I get some sleep and try to get you two hooked up by the weekend :thumbup2:

• Like 1

Update: It still randomly decided to not downshift when coming to a stop. An ignition cycle clears the problem, but the code returns..

That sounds a lot like the orange/blk wire from the PCM to ground problem. The PCM grounds the lock up circuit to operate it so I would spend some time looking for a harness that is rubbing somewhere causing the wire for lock up to ground.

• 4 weeks later...

Boy do I feel like a goon.... My apologies for not following through. I got stuck on a nightshift for longer than I expected working 14hr to 16 hr shifts and this completely skipped my mind. Do you still want to talk to Dean? Whats the theory with going to a manual valvebody and why so much $$$$?

Boy do I feel like a goon.... My apologies for not following through. I got stuck on a nightshift for longer than I expected working 14hr to 16 hr shifts and this completely skipped my mind. Do you still want to talk to Dean? Whats the theory with going to a manual valvebody and why so much $$$$?

Sure I'd still like to talk to him. Why so much $? No idea. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I will most definitely get ahold of him. Ive never priced a manual valvebody, not sure what goes into them maybe thats the normal price Im not sure. Seems like mine was around 300 bucks? Give or take when Dean built my trans its been a few years now. So did they say why a manual valvebody will correct your problems vs a normal one?

I will most definitely get ahold of him. Ive never priced a manual valvebody, not sure what goes into them maybe thats the normal price Im not sure. Seems like mine was around 300 bucks? Give or take when Dean built my trans its been a few years now. So did they say why a manual valvebody will correct your problems vs a normal one?

Basically, it boils down to this:

my truck was originally a 5 speed truck. somewhere along the road, it was swapped to an auto, and the wiring/electronic controls portion is so butchered, it's insane. Going to a MVB would basically eliminate all of that. I manually shift it most of the time, anyway, due to the erratic shifting, so a MVB wouldn't be that big of a deal. I'd just have to reactivate my toggle switches for the OD and LU. But again, no big deal..

I'd definitely go this route, though, if I were to install a MVB..

Posted Image

Like I said, the best chance of getting ahold of him is after 6pm. He rarely answers his phone so youll have to leave a voicemail if his mailbox isnt full lol. Ive been at his house and watch him clear his mailbox out and tried calling him the next day and his mailbox is full and wont accept any more messages. And if he doesnt call back within a day or two dont be shy to call him again. Its nothing personal hes just that busy. Too many irons in the fire but he refuses to get anybody to help him.Hes expecting your call just tell him your a friend of JR :thumbup2:

• Like 1

Spoke at length with Dean, JR.. I really like him; he tells you like it is (just like I do!)

At any rate, he gave me a shopping list of things to do and to get him some info. I'll have to try and catch up to my buddy tomorrow and see if he can connect his Snap-On MODUS to it..

He also told me a trick to adjust the TV cable properly.

Dean's afraid that the PCM is for the wrong year truck (i.e. for a 99-2000+, rather than a '97) but the MODUS will answer that for us.

Also said that the OD light (which is non-existant on my truck) is an integral part of the functionality, due to the resistance the bulb produces for the PCM on that wire (C3, pin 6)..

My cruise doesn't work, and he said that's also possibly due to the PCM and/or it's wiring.

The 4WD switch (turns the :4wd: light on) also is supposed to be wired into the PCM. He fears, also, that the PCM isn't for a 4WD, but we'll find that out, too, with the MODUS).

At any rate, I have homework:

[*]Adjust TV cable properly

[*]Modus to determine year/make/model/engine/drivetrain

[*]Wire in a 168 or 194 bulb for the OD circuit on C6-p6 (LtGN/Org)

[*]Check for CC switch function via Modus

I'm going to try to get this all sorted tomorrow, hopefully, and call him back with results.

• Like 1

Thats good to hear, Rick. Dean is about as good as they come when it comes to an automatic transmission. :smart: I hope he can help you get it sorted out, sounds like hes got you off to a good start already! :thumbup2: please keep us posted!By the way, its really got me baffled how you were able to get a hold of him the first night you tried! It takes me days sometimes :think: Im gonna have to work on him about this.....:lmao: