• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

X2. Now that the tranny is at least 90% good then what are you going to do in your spare time? :lol:

Work on the other 10% :)

I wonder if the correct year O/D switch is wired differently?

I pulled a switch assembly from a JY truck, so the proper switch (dash-mounted) is installed. Now, that isn't to say that something is just wrong with the switch, itself..

I pulled a switch assembly from a JY truck, so the proper switch (dash-mounted) is installed. Now, that isn't to say that something is just wrong with the switch, itself..

But, did the JY switch work right??? If you wanted to be able to lock out O/D you could just put a switch to ground on the PCM.....

But, did the JY switch work right??? If you wanted to be able to lock out O/D you could just put a switch to ground on the PCM.....

I had that, before, with the butchered harness. The OE switch works correctly but the indicator, as to whether or not it is enabled, does not. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Good info here, Just bought me 01 2500 the tranny in mine works great so far, I have built a few 727s ( older mopar trannys ) the 47re externally looks similar to the 727 and iv pulled the pan and it looks about the same as the 727 so if I ever have a issue I will probably rebuild it myself, the manual valve body will eliminate all issuses with shifting but you will be having to shift into gear yourself and a manual vb will have increased line pressures and hard hitting shifts and a longer lasting tranny, I am going to check with John Cope @ Cope Racing Transmissions hes a mopar tranny builder and ask him about any mods for the 47re, and like the 727s and 904s the 47re looks like it still uses the throttle pressure for shift points, I hated the throttle kick down on older trannys so id always use a transpak or manual vb, the way they worked is the more you pull the lever or cable the higher the line psi and higher rpm and harder the shift, the less the the pull on cable or lever ( lower line psi ) the faster the shift will occur and softer, im not an expert but hope this helps

So, after swapping the harness and pcm, I remembered, today, that I still had the jumper in the TCC relay spot for the TCC toggle switch.. So I pulled over, removed the jumper, and re-installed the relay. Guess what? Problems.... :cry:Trans takes off in 3rd gear. Swapped relays with horn one (I think), same issue. Pulled the relay, re-installed the jumper, trans is back to normal..I'm really starting to think I'll be needing to pull this trans this year for a rebuild or swap... This is getting old.. No, it's already gotten old..

Rick, did you by chance shut the key off then restart it with the relay in? The reason I ask is because the PCM on mine needs to be reset when it goes into limp.

Rick, did you by chance shut the key off then restart it with the relay in? The reason I ask is because the PCM on mine needs to be reset when it goes into limp.

Yes sir, I sure did. I shut the truck off, replaced the jumper with the relay, then restarted the truck. When I put the jumper back in, I started the truck and it started off "normally"..

• 2 weeks later...

At what speed does your trans shift into O/D? Mine is at 47MPH with 'normal' throttle. Keep in mind that your PCM only looks at the TPS and the speed sensor on the side of the transmission to determine the proper gear. If you need a TPS NAPA has them and I am sure that other parts stores will have them too. NAPA TPS AutoZone TPS

with the tv cable adjusted where it is, the trans shifts 1-2 @ about 1700rpm, then 2-3 again at around 1700rpm, then OD immediately after the 2-3 shift, then feels like is "slips", since the OD shift is so early. If I put the TCC relay in and remove the jumper, it seems to take off in limp mode. Bear in mind that this is the same with 2 different PCMs.

That just doesn't make a bunch of sense. Have you tried tightening the TV cable a little? I had a car that I changed the transmission in and until the TV cable was set right it would shift way early. I still don't understand the jumper issue though.......

That just doesn't make a bunch of sense. Have you tried tightening the TV cable a little? I had a car that I changed the transmission in and until the TV cable was set right it would shift way early. I still don't understand the jumper issue though.......

Yeah I hear ya. 1-3 shifts fine, its only the OD thats the problem. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Here is a suggestion. Try scanning the computer for codes. My '96 had a code for the transmission stored when I first got it and didn't light the check engine light. You may have a solenoid screwing up on you. Also maybe try sending Dave Goerend an email. www.goerends.com I just went to that site and found something that may be of interest. Read this for some more info on shifting: http://www.goerend.com/index.cfm?Page_name=VBA%20Purpose

Here is a suggestion. Try scanning the computer for codes. My '96 had a code for the transmission stored when I first got it and didn't light the check engine light. You may have a solenoid screwing up on you. Also maybe try sending Dave Goerend an email. www.goerends.com I just went to that site and found something that may be of interest. Read this for some more info on shifting: http://www.goerend.com/index.cfm?Page_name=VBA%20Purpose

[h=1]What is the purpose of the VBA Goerend Transmission[/h] Valve Body Assistant (VBA) The VBA is a voltage limiter that limits the voltage returning from the transmission governor pressure sensor. The computer sends a 5 volt reference signal to the governor pressure sensor inside the trans and monitors the returning signal to determine what governor pressure is, the computer also monitors the output shaft speed sensor. After looking at the speed sensor and determining what gear the trans should be in, the computer will vary the ground circuit on the governor pressure solenoid and the governor pressure to the shift valves will go up or down as needed. The computer checks the returning voltage from the governor pressure sensor to see that the governor pressure is correct. The original valve body will only produce about 110 psi max, and the governor pressure sensor will return about 4 out of 5 volts back to the computer and the computer will read this 4 volts as prox 110 psi.

Your new valve body will produce about 175 psi so now the governor pressure sensor will return almost 5 volts back to the computer. Because the computer is programmed to only see about 110 psi it now thinks the sensor is shorted out when it sees over 4 volts returning to it.

The VBA is on the return side of the circuit and dumps any excess voltage over 4 volts to ground so the computer will not see it. This keeps the computer from going to limp mode.

Limp mode is when the computer takes all voltage away from the trans and now the trans will start out in 3rd gear only, during limp mode the trans will start in 3rd gear. If you pull the shifter to 2nd it will go to 2nd but it will not go to 1st.

If you want to get to 1st gear wile in limp mode you must stop and shift to neutral for about 5 seconds and then quickly all the way to 1st, and then upshift manually.

If I put the TCC relay in, this is exactly how my trans acts..