• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I have been having issues with my truck towing, seems to have a lack of power. Well for the fun of it I ran the 3x key thing on my truck and read the codes on my SuperChip and this is NOW what it is telling me.PCU 1693ECU 0216 & 0234I just had my injector pump tested at a shop in Green Bay only to pay these guys $700+ to test my injector pump, try to fix my turbo that they tell me my waste gate was stuck. Of course, broken bolts and yada, yada a huge bill and they tell me my stock turbo was cracked.So hence, I buy a new turbo $1200 and install the little wire to my map sensor so I dont get the 0234 code (over boost condition). Obiviously the little wires are not tricking my map sensor for my new turbo.Here is my problem. I dont always get the 0216. Am I getting a glich in my truck or am I really having issues with my injector pump?? Testing showed my pump to be fine. I am calling them tomorrow and they will recheck my injector pump for free especially now that I have the code.That 0216 code will go away again................ I am not sure this is the reasoning for my lack of power while towing?? Truck seems to run fine and you cannot tell any lack of power when not towing anything.Anyone have any thoughts why this code keeps re-appearing but then will disappear for awhile?:think: As always, thanks for the help.:thumbup2:

What kind of fuel pressures are you seeing from the Raptor? Idle and WOT. I had similar issues when my lift pump was going bad and boosting the fuel pressure helped alot. I am not fimiliar with the wire you speak of for boost fooling the ECM. My banks system does it in the tuner and is only connected to the MAP sensor thru the wiring harness.I am also not sure how anyone tests a VP. I have seen several folks that have had that done, but I am not sure any one can check it with out the Bosch test bench. I think $700 and nothing is fixed would gall me pretty bad.I am by far not the expert in this area, but I am sure some one will straighten me out if I a wrong. The 216 is not neccessarily a death code for the VP.

What kind of fuel pressures are you seeing from the Raptor? Idle and WOT. I had similar issues when my lift pump was going bad and boosting the fuel pressure helped alot. I am not fimiliar with the wire you speak of for boost fooling the ECM. My banks system does it in the tuner and is only connected to the MAP sensor thru the wiring harness. I am also not sure how anyone tests a VP. I have seen several folks that have had that done, but I am not sure any one can check it with out the Bosch test bench. I think $700 and nothing is fixed would gall me pretty bad. I am by far not the expert in this area, but I am sure some one will straighten me out if I a wrong. The 216 is not neccessarily a death code for the VP.

Idle pressure is 20 and running 70 down the interstate is about 17.5 for pressure. Yeah, they sent a plug in with the turbo because they said I would be having over-boost codes if I didnt put this in..:rolleyes:. I just dont understand the 216 appearing then disappearing all the time. :banghead: I thought the VP was a mechanical pump?? If that is the case, shouldnt it be either good or bad??:think:

• Owner

VP44 is a eletro-mechanical in other words electronically controlled mechanical pump.

P0216 Code...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/161-p0216-fuel-injection-pump-timing-failure

[h=2]Monitor & Set Conditions[/h] Fuel injection pump operation is monitored with ignition on. DTC will set when engine speed is greater than 300 RPM, fuel command 5 mm3/str and timing command within a certain window.

[h=2]Possible Causes[/h]

[*] Other DTCs

[*] Fuel Injection Pump Gear Alignment

[*] Fuel Filter Restriction

[*] Transfer Pump Inlet Restriction

[*] Fuel Injection Pump

[h=2]Testing[/h] 1. Turn ignition on with engine off. Using DRBIII® scan tool, check for engine DTCs. If DTC P0336, P1287 or P1690 is set, diagnose those DTC(s) first. See DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE DEFINITIONS . If DTC P0336, P1287 and P1690 are not set, go to next step.

2. Using scan tool, observe FREEZE FRAME data. Try to duplicate conditions recorded in FREEZE FRAME data. Using scan tool, check for DTCs. If Good Trip Counter changes to zero, go to next step. If Good Trip Counter does not change to zero, test is complete.

3. Turn ignition off. Check for proper fuel injection pump timing and alignment of fuel injection pump drive gear. See FUEL INJECTION PUMP TIMING in ON-VEHICLE ADJUSTMENTS - RAM PICKUP - DIESEL article. If proper fuel injection pump timing and/or alignment of fuel injection pump drive gear exists, go to next step. If fuel injection pump timing and alignment of fuel injection pump drive gear is not correct, adjust as necessary.

4. Check fuel pressure drop across fuel filter. See FUEL SYSTEMS in BASIC DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES - RAM PICKUP - DIESEL article. If fuel pressure drop is as specified, go to next step. If fuel pressure drop is not as specified, check for restriction and repair as necessary.

5. Check transfer pump inlet for a restriction. See FUEL SYSTEMS in BASIC DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES - RAM PICKUP - DIESEL article. If transfer pump inlet restriction is acceptable, replace fuel injection pump. See appropriate REMOVAL, OVERHAUL & INSTALLATION article. If transfer pump inlet restriction is not acceptable, repair transfer pump inlet line restriction