• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well this is interesting..

ISX

• Owner

Wow! That pic is huge... :lmao2:

As for Win XP is not exactly a great OS system for multi-core processors. So if you upgraded to Vista 64 bit or Win 7 64 Bit it will be able to spread it a bit better.

But as for Win XP go back to the task manager and select the process tab then Right click the process you want to adjust/check. Then select Set Affinity. The you be able to set or select which core will do work.

Now remember some software also don't understand multi-core processor either so they will select 1 core and that's it... I got a few video processing software older ones that tend to only load up on one core and not spread out. (Win XP software).

Yeah I posted it and said holy crap lol I got this 17" topped out on resolution. I knew core stuff was new but this is a old xeon.. But maybe xp has the same issues with it. It only did that for a little bit while installing that but I still thought it was weird. I guess the hyperthreading makes the dual processor illusion.

Posted Image

Edited by ISX

Yes rub it in lol. I like making the most out of old stuff. Though I think I hit a limit. I got the main computer with all the music, pics, crap, on a raid 0 i think it is, divided into 3 drives 10k scsi (OLDDDDD ones lmao) but the issue is that I got this one and the main hooked to a fancy router and everything is connected at 1gbps, but when I test it by say, dragging the 10gb pic folder onto this computer and watching the network percentages, the rate doesn't get over 12.5-13%, which is the same rate as 100mbps. I don't know whats holding it back.

• Owner

Another fault of XP... XP requires tuning of the RWin and Packet sizes to get the most out of the network. Like myself I got to tune all my older XP machine to run good against the network and DSL. But now fire up my Vista machine and the TCP/IP stack is self tuned and does quite well. I just love how most bad rap Vista got... It actually good software and works excellent... :rolleyes: I got to admit vista fixed a bunch of faults and failures XP had... You might be wondering how many computers I might have??? :confused: 5200 AMD - Vista 64 - 4 GB Ram (My Flagship)Sony Viao Laptop - 800 Duron AMD - 128 MB Ram (My old Laptop)2400 AMD - Win XP - 1 GB Ram (Mom's Computer)1200 AMD - Win XP - 1 GB Ram (Shop Computer)

I still hate vista hahahaha. I hate how hard it is to get files from one computer to another and I still haven't been able to get it to work. I can see all of them but I can't transfer files without going through password stuff that I don't know how to set. I can't find where you set it anywhere. Therefore, I drag stuff to the xp computer, then get on the other vista computer and drag it off that xp computer. Then for some reason I kicked my brothers laptop (same as mine) enough times that it is able to share files, I don't have a clue about how to do it though. I just build them I can't run them lol. I thought you would have had more computer than that. I got this dual xeon, a dual 2100+ athlon water cooled, a couple motherboards with dual PIII 1.4's, a 64-2800+, my turion 64 laptop, motherboard for dual slot 1 PII-PIII's, then about 10 computers that probably couldn't run windows 95 if they tried. Believe it or not, the main computer is a 2ghz celeron lmao. I cant believe the network speed issue is xp's packet crap. I gotta figure that stuff out.

I got to thinking and I know the hard drives use ata 100 which isnt that limiting me right there along with the packet stuff? 100mbps interface.. Im not sure though. I have the scsi's all connected to a pci card. Is there a program that will show me how much throughput my hard drives are really putting out? I can transfer stuff from one hard drive (the 3 raids) to the windows hard drive (ata 100) and see how fast it goes but I dont have any way to see how fast its transfering.

I get terrible numbers lol. No better than 15MB/sec. But if thats the case, how is it able to transfer at 100% of 100mbps? Oh wait. 100mbps would be 12.5MB/sec so I guess its about right on. I tried finding things that wouldn't use the hard drive but might get it to a higher percentage like remote desktop connection. But I found that would be sufficient with a damn 10mbps connection. Theres gotta be something out there that I can watch the percentage hit higher than 12.5 lol

• Owner

Try hooking up to a 1 gbps connection... My router is limited to 100 mbps... So Even though my computer got a 1 gbps network card its not going to travel any faster than the other controllers and routers. So It all about tuning and matching equipment to get the most out of your computer... Simular case... I upgrade motherboard and had some PC4200 DDR II ram and desided to use it. So then upgraded and bought P6400 DDR II and used withe the PC4200 never the less the PC4200 was pulling the timing down... Yank out the P4200 and replace it with a match P6400 and now happy as hell... :thumbsup:

Everything is 1gbps. The onboard xeon lan is, the router is and the pci card in the main computer is. I do notice the wireless vista computers only going 54mbps are much slower transferring stuff. Wonder if they got anything faster out for wireless.

I've read all about that but they said they could give people cable internet speeds anywhere, as in, the boondocks, any house on the grid.. But all this frequency interference that might happen has been keeping it all just a within the house thing. Very sad. I always thought it would be neat to be way down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere with 5mbps+ internet.

Just because you can LMAO. My parents got very lucky and the local ISP has been having fun with long range wireless. They been going to farms bouncing signal off repeaters on peoples grain bins and getting it pretty far out. We live about 10 miles from anything and got it and its 3mbps upload and download. They beam it off the water towers in the city. Very interesting and very fast. Doesn't have any of that drastic speed changes that cable has at 7pm. In fact most of the time its 3-4mbps.

• Owner

Just because you can LMAO. My parents got very lucky and the local ISP has been having fun with long range wireless. They been going to farms bouncing signal off repeaters on peoples grain bins and getting it pretty far out. We live about 10 miles from anything and got it and its 3mbps upload and download. They beam it off the water towers in the city. Very interesting and very fast. Doesn't have any of that drastic speed changes that cable has at 7pm. In fact most of the time its 3-4mbps.

:thud::cry2: I wish... Geez...

Well I guess I better get on the ball...:rolleyes2: