• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

long starting

My '97 12V seems to take a little cranking to fire.. like 5-6 seconds.. doesn't matter if its the first start of the day, or if it's been running for an hour. This just seems a little on the long side.. My old '96 would crank right up, especially when it's warmed up already. Same with my 24Valve..Think it's possibly a timing issue?

My '97 12V seems to take a little cranking to fire.. like 5-6 seconds.. doesn't matter if its the first start of the day, or if it's been running for an hour. This just seems a little on the long side.. My old '96 would crank right up, especially when it's warmed up already. Same with my 24Valve.. Think it's possibly a timing issue?

Press the pedal down until it gets to that hard spot (only takes like 1/2") and let off when it starts. I bet it will start instantaneously. Common issue, some do it, some don't, nobody knows why.
  • Like 1

I don't know what does it. I have spent dozens of hours pondering it, testing some ponderations...hell with it lol. Theoretically the governor should be giving it max fuel until it starts which should make it start just the same way it starts when you press the pedal. I never asked anyone if changing the governor springs ever fixed it. My idle is set so low that maybe it just isn't giving it the fuel it needs to get going. So you give it a blip and then it is running a lot hotter from the explosions and is able to run off the miniscule amount of fuel to idle at 700. :shrug: