• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

24 Valve lash adjustment? noise/sound???

When I did my valve lash adjustment I did not have a barring tool so I used the alternate method to turn the engine backwards using a ratchet and socket on the alternator...

Here is my question/comment... I turned engine till I got TDC (everything was nice and smooth and quiet) did the valve adjustments then started turning engine to get to BDC... while I was turning everything was smooth and quiet and all of a sudden I start to hear a clicking noise every time I would turn over the engine... the sound persisted for about 5 or 6 turns on the rachet and then stopped... I never heard it again after that...

It noise/clicking sounded like it was coming from the aft bottom of the eng block oil pan/starter area...

Ever since then I have had a lumpy idle at startup issues... :banghead:

I wonder if I damaged something internal...:cry:

99 Ram 2500 4x4, Auto, QCab longbed: Edge CTS juice/attitude, afe Stage II cold air, Raptor 150, Industrial Injection 85's, 5" MBRP turbo Back...

Crank sensor come apart? Crank tone wheel coming loose? :shrug:

I have a cam & crank sensor on order... should be here at the end of this week... I am going to install the crank sensor first and see if the start up IDLE LOPE goes away... if not then I will install the cam sensor and see if it goes away.

In the mean time... my plan is to drop the starter and remove the current CRANK SENSOR... inspect it for damage and then boroscope into the hole to have a look around... (tone ring/wheel?)

DO YOU know what I should be seeing? Is the TONE RING/Wheel right there in view?

Is the tone ring/wheel what the Crank Sensor is censing / picking up in order to do its job? :think:

- - - Updated - - -

I have a cam & crank sensor on order... should be here at the end of this week... I am going to install the crank sensor first and see if the start up IDLE LOPE goes away... if not then I will install the cam sensor and see if it goes away.

In the mean time... my plan is to drop the starter and remove the current CRANK SENSOR... inspect it for damage and then boroscope into the hole to have a look around... (tone ring/wheel?)

DO YOU know what I should be seeing? Is the TONE RING/Wheel right there in view?

Is the tone ring/wheel what the Crank Sensor is censing / picking up in order to do its job? :think:

I pulled crank sensor out tonight... took me about 15 mins. I just unbolted the starter and moved it forward enough that I could get the senor out...:hyper: INSPECTED: NO DAMAGE. :thumbup2:

Going to boroscope tomorrow night to look for missing hardware, looseness and missing teeth on the Tone Ring.