• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tires.. Your $.02?

My tires are about ready to go.. ~20% tread, on re-treaded MT's... I drive ~20k a year, pulling a horse trailer for a good part of that. Female driver, yadda yadda, I want to be safe.Local auto parts has a set of 4 new Rodo (sp?) tires, garanteed for 80k miles for $600. They are Street tires with a smidgen extra grip (and they don't look totally sissy ;-) )I can get a set of 4 ~50% tread used tires for $100. Another $40 to install/balance.I need to do a front end alignment on my truck.. Money is tight, but in a couple weeks I can fork out $800 for new tires/alignment/installation, etc. Or I can do the used tires through the winter (I was thinking of getting really grippy tires), then get new ones + all the alignment stuff.I don't know what is best, I get much varying opions of what I should do..Help please!!:think:

• Like 1

I've been running Treadwright.com tires. These are very good retreads built on quality, low milage carcasses. They use mainly michelin, goodrich, and goodyear carcasses. They use the same rubber compound as goes into commercial truck recaps.

Why do I use them?

Main reason.... cost. last set for my 1500 ram 265 75 R 16 load range D, was about 130 each shipped to my door. These were the sentinal tread pattern.... good grip, and not to noisey.

Second reason.... I do a lot of 'off the road' here on the ranch, I can just as easy ruin a tire with a sharp rock, stick, antler....fencepost just as easy as a 400 dollar tire.

They are built up in the blackhills region of South Dakota.

Ive used up about 4 sets on the varous Rams around here, I've had one start to delaminate. they exchanged it no questions asked.

YOU HAVE TO KEEP EM AIRED UP!

Posted Image

Posted Image

An 80k mile warrantied tire for 600 bucks is pretty reasonable, if you can foot the bill it may not be a bad way to go. Youll be money ahead over buying a used set now and then doing it all over again a few months down the road. Also, buying an E rated tire will get much better tread wear than a D rating, especially with the heavy front ends combined with towing.