• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New fuel gauge, am I being paranoid?

Just installed new injectors, Big Line Kit and Isspro fuel gauge.Fired her up yesterday & happily watched my fuel pressure climb to 12. After a short test drive and check over I noticed 2 small fuel leaks. One up top of filter where the needle valve is, was hoping this was just due to the Permatex thread sealer I used not being dry yet. The other is at the other end and seems to be coming from the push-lock fitting. Very small, couldn't see it but when I felt around the fitting my hand came away with diesel on it.I was going to take it to work today (50 mile round trip) and see what happens.Just fired her up and fuel pressure was only 4. I nervously watched for a minute or so and it never went higher than 6. Got scared & shut her down. Think I'll take the Suby to work...Any input or opinions?

If you have leaks in your fuel system youve no doubt got air in your system which will give inaccurate readings to your gauge. Fix your leaks , bleed the air out, and see what you get. As for the pipe sealant, that stuff is overrated. The threads will seal themselves things like teflon tape and pipe dope are designed to provide lubrication for the threads to keep them from galling up. I generally use just a touch of Antisieze on most threads it is an excellant lubricant and makes things much easier coming apart.

Thanks for the repliesFuel filter has 1500 more miles to go (may change anyway and see what it does to the numbers)Lift pump is stock, about 60K miles old.Tightened up the needle valve fittings, cranked some more on the metric adapter/elbow fittings, re-bleed the system (#'s 1, 3, & 4).Fired her up and pressure went right up to 12.5 again. Short test ride showed numbers mostly staying above 10, but dropping down to 7psi when I got on her a bit in 4th gear...Is my new fuel gauge telling me to get a new lift pump?

I went out after dinner and changed the fuel filter. The old one looked dirtier than I'd expect for 8500 mostly easy road miles, but not horrible. That brings up the how many miles on a fuel filter before change question? Anyway, after filter change I'm getting 13 at idle and 10 at WOT. Pretty low when I look at the numbers in the "Fuel pressure" poll, but still safe, I think...Guess I'm going to have to upgrade, but it may not be for a little while.Recommendations on a pump? I lean towards easy of use, longevity and fuel efficiency. Oh, and price...

• Owner

Book calls for every 15,000 miles (or every other oil change).

Food for thought. I'm running a AirDog 150 with 3 micron filter and the stock filter can. I've got nearly 30K miles on the AirDog filter and closer to 50K miles on the stock can filter. Pressure is still a stable 19 @ idle and 17 @ WOT.

Pump is part of the issues. The stock Carter pump is only good for 35 GPH. Then its got mechanical problems.

Posted Image

This little plastic hub is not suppose to fall out or slip. But 70-80% of pump fail to this little plastic hub.

Posted Image