• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Honda 420 ATV

volkswagon

If your talking about removing the cv joints from the differential, they are held in by a snap ring. Once you have the outer part of the joint removed from the hub, they should pop out with a good tug (in a perfect world of course). If its been a long time since theyve been apart, they are probably rusted in there because they are not lubricated by the gear oil like youd think they should be. Ive used a big slide hammer with a 3 jaw adapter and used a little elbow grease to get em out.

• Like 1

If your talking about removing the cv joints from the differential, they are held in by a snap ring. Once you have the outer part of the joint removed from the hub, they should pop out with a good tug (in a perfect world of course). If its been a long time since theyve been apart, they are probably rusted in there because they are not lubricated by the gear oil like youd think they should be. Ive used a big slide hammer with a 3 jaw adapter and used a little elbow grease to get em out.

Well mine wasn't rusted in cuz it somehow came out on its own! I pushed it back in not realizing it'd lock in and now I need it out to reassemble everything!

Well mine wasn't rusted in cuz it somehow came out on its own! I pushed it back in not realizing it'd lock in and now I need it out to reassemble everything!

You should be able to give it a good yank if its already been out once the only thing that holds it in is a small clip at the end of the splines. You can also try GENTLY prying with a good sized pry bar between the differential and the cup of the cv joint. Just be careful, the differential is aluminum and on my Rincon there is a mounting ear that could break off if you abuse it too much. Like I said earlier I had to use a large slidehammer i started off on the end of the cv joint hooking the slide hammer up to the hub using the lug nuts. I had a helper keeping the cv joint straight while I hammered the snot out of it. The inner cv ended up coming apart so I then had to switch the ends of my slide hammer to a 3 jaw puller. The jaws just barely grabbed the out side of the inner cv cup (this was all that was left sticking out of the differential) and used tie wire to keep the jaws tight to the cup. I beat the snot out of it with the slide hammer until it eventually came out. Then i used a brass drift pin to reach through to the other side and took my bafh and drove the other cv out. Hopefully you dont have the problems I did, it doesnt sound like you will if its already been out. I think its a bad design, the cv splines go straight through the differential yet they are not lubed at all. So like in my case, I have a 2005 Rincon with nearly 4 thousand miles thats been rode hard, been in lots of water and mud. Now I wash my machine after every ride, have installed grease fittings in all bushings in my a arms, and keep up on the maintenance like clockwork. So its not a matter of neglect by any means. Just a poor design :mad: