• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Smokeless tuning

• Owner

Well I'm now really going for the gold now. I've managed to reduce from 5x5 to 5x3 on the Edge Comp and keep 20 MPG now. Certainly different driving style is required.

Now for those that are not owners of Edge products let me throw this out. Edge Comp and Edge Juice are both have the same in software basically. They both have 5 main levels and 5 sublevels.

MAIN LEVELS

[*]40 HP

[*]60 HP

[*]80 HP

[*]100 HP

[*]120 HP

SUBLEVELS

[*]33% of stock fueling/timing till 20 PSI of boost

[*]50% of stock fueling/timing till 15 PSI of boost

[*]67% of stock fueling/timing till 10 PSI of boost

[*]Some Extra fuel at 0 PSI of boost

[*]Full fuel and Timing at 0 PSI of boost

Now you got to remember I got winter time temps, my oversize tires 265's, and the tune of 5x3. Now I've changed over to the 5x3 and continued driving like I did previously and saw the MPG drop to nearly 16-18 MPG range. I relized that the timing curve was not available with low boos that I normal see of 1.5 to 3 PSI which is well below 10 PSI limit of the defuel mode of the Edge. So today figure I change driving style a bit and see if I could gain it back. Since my trip to McCall, ID is all up hill from home to McCall, ID all I did was left it 4th gear (NV4500) and set the cruise for 55 MPh as usual. This put my tach upwards of 2,100 RPM's and boost about 7-9 PSI the whole way up. Seems to gain slightly on the way up by the time I hit McCall, ID I had just barely touched on 15.9-16.0 MPG on the ScanGauge II. So now light foot around town and scratch up a few more tenths of MPG. Then on my way home I used 5th gear let the truck just roll down hill basically. By the time I hit the yard I was at 20.5 MPG. This is still experimental stag and I'm going to continue learning and testing to see if I can get the most of this tune.

More to come...:whistle:

PS: Oh... I forgot to mention that with this tune I've got way more torque now and been having trouble even with my 265's tires. In 2nd and 3rd gears I just got to plant the pedal to the floor and the turbo lights and so do the tires. :burnout2:

• Staff

Since when are 265 tires "oversized" They were standard on my 02 and every one since 02 has 265 standard as well.:think: Even my 2010 1500 Hemi has 265 tires standard.

There are some trucks with 245's standard, even 3rd gens. (no clue on 4th) They are not common thou, and generally the ST package, I have never seen an SLT or higher with 245's. 235's, Michael's summer tires, have only ever been standard on DRW's, at least that I have seen.

• Owner

Well I know my truck came factory with 265's but I still thing they are oversized. Like my door tag shows I'm suppose to have 245's for a stock tire. Just like my 96 Dodge shows it stock size is 245's as well but came with 235's. But still in all 265's are just heavier than I need for my application.Yes. The Edge Comp modifies the ECM signals for timing and fueling based on boost pressure. So its modified through the CANBus an the wire tap. This is where I would love to have EFI Live or Smarty to make corrections to the timing more so than fueling.

• Staff

Yes. The Edge Comp modifies the ECM signals for timing and fueling based on boost pressure. So its modified through the CANBus an the wire tap.

So when you changed from 5x5 to 5x3 the SGII could no longer be calibrated.

This is where I would love to have EFI Live or Smarty to make corrections to the timing more so than fueling.

EFI won't ever happen, but Smarty UDC should.

• Owner

EFI won't ever happen, but Smarty UDC should.

John, have you heard anything about UDC for 2nd gens? Ive not seen anything from Mads about the possibility of this, but I sure would love it if they did!

Now for those that are not owners of Edge products let me throw this out. Edge Comp and Edge Juice are both have the same in software basically. They both have 5 main levels and 5 sublevels. Hey Mike, you say Comp and Juice are basically the same, is there any real differences between the two? Reason Im asking, I know someone whos trying to sell an EJA for a more than reasonable price, hes needin some xmas $$$. Not somethin I need, more like want, maybe?

The difference between Juice and Comp is toyz and gauges. The tune software is the same. 5 Main levels with 5 sublevels (3 defuel and 2 power).