• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Broke push rod white smoke after replacing

Rerwin

I was driving down the hwy when my truck started running rough and smoking. Had to go about 20 miles to my destination. Found a broke push rod in #3 intake. Replaced the rod and checked the valves. Valves seem to be operating fine.Clearance is good. Truck runs good but when accelerating still have white smoke pretty bad. Truck is an 04 3/4 ton HO. Did have a broke exhaust spring in 2010. It was fixed by dealer. Need some help. Thanks

Sounds like there was another issue that caused the pushrod to break. Push rods generally don't just break unless there was some other force in play like a dropped or stuck valve causing the piston to slap it, a stuck rocker arm a broken valve spring ect. Time to pull the valve cover and inspect a bit closer. A compression test may be in order, I would at minimum pull #3 injector and look at the tip for damage if it did drop a valve the tip may have been damaged as well.

I only have experience with gassers. My 454 presumeably hung a valve (rust, humidity). It appears the piston hit it on start. Put tip of push rod through rocker arm, made pushrod into Z shape. I replaced the whole valve train from lifter through rocker arm. Ran like a bear after that. Something caused your failure.

Sounds like there was another issue that caused the pushrod to break. Push rods generally don't just break unless there was some other force in play like a dropped or stuck valve causing the piston to slap it, a stuck rocker arm a broken valve spring ect. Time to pull the valve cover and inspect a bit closer. A compression test may be in order, I would at minimum pull #3 injector and look at the tip for damage if it did drop a valve the tip may have been damaged as well.

I talked to a diesel mechanic yesterday and he said the push rod could have broke because the other dealer probably didn't replace It when they fixed the broken valve spring. I haven't checked the injector so will do that. All the valves and rockers seem to be fine. I just pushed on them to make sure they were opening and closing. And the rockers worked them back and forth and they move smoothly.

Did the spring break on the same cylinder as the broken push rod?Could you post a pic of the broken push tube or describe where it broke?You stated it was an exhaust spring that broke so it should nhave no effect on the intake push tube if it was on the same cylinder, you didn't say which cylinder the exhaust spring broke on but regardles it shouldn't make a difference.Still think something else is physically wrong.

Did the spring break on the same cylinder as the broken push rod? Could you post a pic of the broken push tube or describe where it broke? You stated it was an exhaust spring that broke so it should nhave no effect on the intake push tube if it was on the same cylinder, you didn't say which cylinder the exhaust spring broke on but regardles it shouldn't make a difference. Still think something else is physically wrong.

Not sure which cylinder it was they fixed. The dealer didn't know either just that it was an exhaust spring. The push rod was #3 on the intake. So I'm not sure. Just lookin for ideas of where to start. The rod was bent a little about 3 inches or so up from the cam. It broke in half about half way up. Try to send a pic when I figure out how.

Then I would pull the injector on #3 and inspect and do a compression test as long as the injector is out. Sounds like a bad valve to me. If you can look at both intake valves and see if they look to be about the same height yet under the valve bridge. See if one is higher or lower than the other.

Then I would pull the injector on #3 and inspect and do a compression test as long as the injector is out. Sounds like a bad valve to me. If you can look at both intake valves and see if they look to be about the same height yet under the valve bridge. See if one is higher or lower than the other.

I will check em out. Thanks

My #3 cylinder just ate a piston. Both rods got bent in the process. I had to get a new long block. I think mine was caused by a broken wrist pin. I'd have someone take that piston out and look at it carefully. It is really expensive when you loose the motor.

• Like 1

My #3 cylinder just ate a piston. Both rods got bent in the process. I had to get a new long block. I think mine was caused by a broken wrist pin. I'd have someone take that piston out and look at it carefully. It is really expensive when you loose the motor.

Ouch! Which truck bit the dust?

Mine quit smoking and seems to be running fine. Drove it and been idling for several hours. Had some fuel injector cleaner in there. Could that have caused the smoke. Used it pretty rich because of advise from a dealer. Said to not do it often but could help. That was before I knew about the push rod.