• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New to this forum need some advise

Jim 5150

New to Cummings just sold my ford with the 6.0 that was giving me tons of problems and bought a 2006 3500 4x4 mega cab with the 5.9 6spdwould the stock clutch hold up to the power of the smarty jr?truck is mainly only used to tow a toyhauler weighing around 15k maxed out looking on what to get to help out the truck. Truck is stock now thx for any advise

• Staff

New to Cummings just sold my ford with the 6.0 that was giving me tons of problems and bought a 2006 3500 4x4 mega cab with the 5.9 6spd would the stock clutch hold up to the power of the smarty jr? truck is mainly only used to tow a toyhauler weighing around 15k maxed out looking on what to get to help out the truck. Truck is stock now thx for any advise

The DMF clutch is your 06 is not known for its strength, many fail in the 80K mile range under stock power. There are some that go much longer, like my dads 06 has 105K on the OEM clutch and 85K of those miles are with a Smarty jr on SW1. For a 15K lbtrailer you may pushing it with a stock clutch, and a Jr. I agree with cajflynn that the Jr makes a big difference. I ran one for 5 years and really liked it. I used the economy mode for most of the time as I found the towing setting to be too much fuel above 4K feet with the stock turbo. My dad has only ran the economy mode and until he started grossing over 18K lbs never had to back off for EGTs, but above 18K and with steep grades above 5-6K feet the truck is about maxed out on airflow.

The DMF clutch is your 06 is not known for its strength, many fail in the 80K mile range under stock power. There are some that go much longer, like my dads 06 has 105K on the OEM clutch and 85K of those miles are with a Smarty jr on SW1. For a 15K lbtrailer you may pushing it with a stock clutch, and a Jr. I agree with cajflynn that the Jr makes a big difference. I ran one for 5 years and really liked it. I used the economy mode for most of the time as I found the towing setting to be too much fuel above 4K feet with the stock turbo. My dad has only ran the economy mode and until he started grossing over 18K lbs never had to back off for EGTs, but above 18K and with steep grades above 5-6K feet the truck is about maxed out on airflow.

What other mods does ur dads truck have