• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Maximum safe boost on a stock engine?

My wastegate is apparently stuck shut. For a long time I was trowing overboost codes and defeuling. Then I out a XZT on it and no longer worried about it. The boost fooler in the XZT made the sticking wastegate work to my advantage. Well now it appears that the wastegate is not doing anything anymore and I have bounced of of 30 lbs. of boost a couple of times. I don't know how far the fooler goes or if it totally cuts out the defuel and codes. I do not want to be blowing the head gaskets out.Rick

• Owner

It's based on your turbo.Automatics are typically HY35W turbo which has a limit of 30 PSI. Manuals are typically HX35W turbo which has a limit of 35 PSIAs for the engine itself it can handle stock form up to 45 PSI safely without any modification other than larger turbo. Beyond this I would suggest head studs, fire ring or O-rings the head.

I have been running an Edge for 6 years and have it set to defuel at 30 psi and have hit that limit many times, with no issues. With the kit came a device that installed in the compressor housing that opened the wastegate at a higher psi. Not sure what it was set to. If you are not the original owner maybe someone forgot to take it out or disconnected the wastegate? I installed a different turbo and inspected my HX 35 and it was in good shape, the wastegate opened with a shot of compressed air.