• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

1999 2500 2wd stalls when put in gear

My truck all of the sudden stalls when I put into a drive gear F or R .when I do get it going it seems to drive fine until I get to a red light as I slow down at about 8mph it seems to downshift and idle goes up. when I come to a complete stop it seems as if someone is behind me pushing me and if i let off of the brake truck wants to take off. I made it home and did some checking and if i start it it idles fine when i get it to run in gear with my foot on the brake the accelerater does not respond .i can mash it all the way to the floor and nothing happens if i let go of the brake it will start to roll then the pedal responds.can anyonr help?Thanks

Have you adjusted and tampered with the APPS sensor? Have you tried doing a APPS reset? http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/26-engine-systems/258-how-to-reset-calibrate-apps-sensor Have you changed ATF fluid in the trans? Have you adjusted the bands lately?

only thing I did was disconnect the batteries and check them they were OK don't know how to adjust bands and will try to change fluid if you think it will work ..I just talk to a guy who said my TC was locked up and not worth trying install a new one.

That comment... "Not worth fixing" sounds totally bogus. Like saying, "don't bother me"... because he's clueless. If you've had the codes read & got nothing, that tells a lot about what it isn't. As to what it might be, I'll defer to those with more knowledge...

That comment... "Not worth fixing" sounds totally bogus. Like saying, "don't bother me"... because he's clueless. If you've had the codes read & got nothing, that tells a lot about what it isn't. As to what it might be, I'll defer to those with more knowledge...

well it was explained to me that if the TC is bad and broke the pieces and what ever is in tranny . the TC cost 600.00 and if I install it the trash will get into it and tranny is going to go bad again. does this make sense? and do not know any honest transmission shop in area . I really do not know what to do as i do not have 2500-3000+ dollars to replace it.

It does sound like the lockup clutch is dragging or a bearing in the converter is failing with the description, have you pulled the lockup clutch relay and see if it goes away, this will indicate a bad relay or internal issues.Also if the converter did fail it doesn't mean the tranny is shot, If you put a new converter in you would want to replace the VB with a better one as well or modify yours at minimum, I like the aftermarket VB,s as they have all sorts of porting and machining mods done to improve flow and cooling not just diffferent springs ect that an ordinary shift kit supplies.The tranny has a sump a magnet and a filter for a reason, to catch the crap from other failing parts.You won't know until you first pull the relay and if that does nothing then drop the pan and look at what kind of stuff you find for debris and take pics to post up before cleaning it up so I could better help.

It does sound like the lockup clutch is dragging or a bearing in the converter is failing with the description, have you pulled the lockup clutch relay and see if it goes away, this will indicate a bad relay or internal issues. Also if the converter did fail it doesn't mean the tranny is shot, If you put a new converter in you would want to replace the VB with a better one as well or modify yours at minimum, I like the aftermarket VB,s as they have all sorts of porting and machining mods done to improve flow and cooling not just diffferent springs ect that an ordinary shift kit supplies. The tranny has a sump a magnet and a filter for a reason, to catch the crap from other failing parts. You won't know until you first pull the relay and if that does nothing then drop the pan and look at what kind of stuff you find for debris and take pics to post up before cleaning it up so I could better help.

I will try these things when i get home today I will find and pull the relay and it should not kill engine correct? and it will just not lock up right . if it does nothing I will pull the pan and see what is in it. i just talked to a trans shop in houston he said he would fix it for 2400 and does not do swaps or bench builds he has to install it so i want to try whatever I can first. Thanks for the replies I will post pics if I get that far today.

i started truck and put it in gear and it died I looked for relay found one marked trans relay I pulled it while truck was runing and I could feel it energizing as i put it in and out. did not make a difference. truck still died I shut truck off and turned key to on position and reley did nothing only energized with truck running. this where I am at now. i am making room to put truck on slab to remove pan and check fluid and filter.. OH don't realy know if I have the right relay it was on drivers side fuse box.

- - - Updated - - -

well dropped the pan and guess it goes back to no honest trans shops i found the fluid looking alot darker than the dipstick seems to show. the magnetic plug had slug and I found a piece of metal about 1" long about a 1/8" wide see picture metal is to the left of plugpost-12491-138698196477_thumb.jpg

I put the pan back on I was pretty much disgusted and yes it did look like a snap ring but I just dont know anything about tranny's I would like to know where it came from but iether way I have to get it repaired.and now it is just trying to find an honest shop. I have called several places and noone will bench build or exchange the 47re or if they do no Warranty...I am just going to hope I get enough back in my taxes...Thanks for all the help,, I had hope on something simple. I will let you guys know what it was .

no i found them on CL and not exactly close to the house .both are out of trucks one guy said he had it rebuilt the came out of a running truck. i am just getting the run around from local shops cannot get an answer on getting it repaired. i dont want to drop my truck off and then not be able to pay for it when it is done.Thanks

I would not trust them that far away, I would wait for one closer to you that you could take the pan off of and inspect it like you did your own, and then talk the owner into letting you take it to a tranny shop with a tranny dyno and giving it a test run there before taking a leap of faith and someone laughing as they are counting the money they just stole from you.Just my preference from experience with used trannies.:smart:Also if it came out of a 24V 98.5 it is a 47re and will work in your 99.

• Like 2