• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Loss of throttle with check engine light

Hello everyone. Iam in the middle of driving from Idaho to North Dakota and am having issues in Glendive, MT. I turned off o!f the interstate and slowed to ~15 mph before merging on to a different highway. My truck accelerated fine and at ~45 mph a check engine light came on and I lost all of my accelerator function. I am 770+ miles into the trip and everything else has been fine until now. It is about 10 degrees out so i am afraid to shut off and attempt a restart/check codes via key trick in fear of freezing to a pop sickle overnight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!P.s. I am running anti-gel in the fuel so plugged filter shouldn't be an issue and I do not have a pressure gauge to check fuel psi. Engine is idling smoothly, temp is good, oil pressure is good and my fuel filter is 2 months old.

You're probably getting P0121 or P0122, which is the APPS.I'll randomly get a a CEL (P0121) and dead pedal while driving down the road, and it sounds just like your problem. . .A reliable fuel pressure gauge is still the best diagnostic tool in this situation. :thumbup2:

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to do an APPS reset that did the trick. It popped codes P0121 and P0500. I looked up the 500 and it sounds like that may have been a minor existing code for the speed sensor on the rear diff (have a feeling.the connector might be a bit corroded). I see a fuel pressure gauge and an AirDog in my near future for VP insurance and feel good factor though. :whistle: first thought was "this is going to hurt the ole pocket book!" Think I got lucky this go around...

Thanks Will! I think I will go ahead and order one to be safe. I have a feeling the one that I have is original and probably wont last much longer...

Good idea. :thumbup2: I'm going to order a Timbo soon. A lot of the members here (including Mike) use Timbo APPS. The stock replacement is gonna run you about 4 bills at the parts house. :spend: And the dealer sells you the whole bell crank assembly. :doh: Mike also has a write up on how to install the Timbo. :thumbup2:

Hey guys,I had a similar problem with a dead pedal just starting the truck in the driveway 99 24valve 3500. I disconnected the battery and the APPS reset did the trick and I have not had another problem. The check engine light was on so stopped by autozone and it pulled a companion code 1689 and something about no TDC detected? Light went and truck has run flawlessly since for about 2 mos. since it occured. Installed a fuel pressure guage and it hangs around 8 to 10 if I am getting on it a bit, 15+ when I back off and roll. Not sure if I still have a problem or not, but it sure runs good.Fired up about picking up 1st gen today. Good body, no rust 5 spd 4wd w250. Its titled an 88 and I been lurking around already to learn from all the info here. Thanks to everyone and have a good one.:hyper:

Hey guys, I had a similar problem with a dead pedal just starting the truck in the driveway 99 24valve 3500. I disconnected the battery and the APPS reset did the trick and I have not had another problem. The check engine light was on so stopped by autozone and it pulled a companion code 1689 and something about no TDC detected? Light went and truck has run flawlessly since for about 2 mos. since it occured. Installed a fuel pressure guage and it hangs around 8 to 10 if I am getting on it a bit, 15+ when I back off and roll. Not sure if I still have a problem or not, but it sure runs good. Fired up about picking up 1st gen today. Good body, no rust 5 spd 4wd w250. Its titled an 88 and I been lurking around already to learn from all the info here. Thanks to everyone and have a good one.:hyper:

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/228-p1689-no-communication-between-ecm-and-vp44 Do you have a stock lift pump? If so, I would look into a FASS or Assassin lift pump. That's not terrible fuel pressure though. . .
  • Like 1

• Owner

Hey guys,

I had a similar problem with a dead pedal just starting the truck in the driveway 99 24valve 3500. I disconnected the battery and the APPS reset did the trick and I have not had another problem. The check engine light was on so stopped by autozone and it pulled a companion code 1689 and something about no TDC detected? Light went and truck has run flawlessly since for about 2 mos. since it occured. Installed a fuel pressure guage and it hangs around 8 to 10 if I am getting on it a bit, 15+ when I back off and roll. Not sure if I still have a problem or not, but it sure runs good.

Fired up about picking up 1st gen today. Good body, no rust 5 spd 4wd w250. Its titled an 88 and I been lurking around already to learn from all the info here. Thanks to everyone and have a good one.:hyper:

Bit marginal on the upper end also the span of pressure drop is also marginal.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for to attempt diagnoses. Plans are to install a fass pump soon, I didnt even want to drive it until I got the fuel pressure guage installed for peace of mind. Friend of mine has same year truck with fass pump, edge with attitude he keeps cranked up that has 340,000 miles without a hiccup. First thing he told me was change the lift pump. Hope its a connection issue and not a bad ECM of course, but it nice knowing where to look. Appreciate it greatly.bhawk