• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tow Mirror Shake.

Just thought I would post up real quick about an issue I was having with my tow mirrors. First off, my truck is a non power truck so needless to say I did not purchase power mirrors which have more "stuff" behind the mirror part and do not vibrate as bad.

Anyway, like I said, I had a lot of vibration sitting at idle or traveling down the road, so I decided to take the mirror apart and sound deaden the back of the mirror to absorb some of the shake. Took me about 1 hour between being anal about it and shooting the bull with my bud that was changing his oil...Here is what mine looked like off the base after I placed the "Cool It" acoustical suppressor mat on.

Posted Image

After getting them done, I started up the truck and it was immediately better at idle, still some blur, but on a smaller scale. Driving down the road it was all but gone, and I'm not sure if my eyes were trying to find it and making it up or if it was really that minute and just ever so slightly noticeable. All the same, I will report back after it gets warmed up, I will either be really pissed when the backing melts and drips off my mirror or very happy that it stays and works good. Good fix for now and if anyone else has this issue, so far I recommend it for a simple fix.

• Like 1

Rogan, for mine yes it does, it has slide snaps. (Screw driver pry up(gently) and pull off to release). If you can zoom on the picture i posted you may be able to see the plastic snaps, i would not want to remove them very much, i don't think they would survive to many removals.They snap onto the circular base. I think most of the power units slide towards the door to release, but don't take my word for it. I had to strategically use a pry bar to snap mine back in place as the base provided to much give to simply snap them back on. Just for anyone wondering, I also have the fancy base support brackets from dodge and I still had a lot of shake.

• Like 1

Rogan, for mine yes it does, it has slide snaps. (Screw driver pry up(gently) and pull off to release). If you can zoom on the picture i posted you may be able to see the plastic snaps, i would not want to remove them very much, i don't think they would survive to many removals.They snap onto the circular base. I think most of the power units slide towards the door to release, but don't take my word for it. I had to strategically use a pry bar to snap mine back in place as the base provided to much give to simply snap them back on. Just for anyone wondering, I also have the fancy base support brackets from dodge and I still had a lot of shake.

Those base supports are key. There should be no flex with them behind the door panel. Mine aren't fancy but they work.

Agreed, and as I previously stated, My current truck is non power and the internals of the non power aftermarket mirrors lack a lot to be desired in the beef department. My 06 had no shake issues but they were power/heated and I know they have a lot more stuff going on behind the glass than my current ones do. Once it officially warms up some I may pull mine apart and address the weak inner support system, but for now, the sound deadening will suffice. It's a cheap and effective means to a desired end result.