• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans random change of gear help please.

i just picked up my first Cummins. 1996 Cummins 12 Valve with 233k Miles. Mechanically sound Body is hell. But i bought a southern 96 1500 for the body im about 7grand into this project, Well i was driving the cummins home from work today, Stopped at a light took off fine got to about 45-50Mph It didnt feel like the trans slipped, Felt more like it just changed gears my rpms went a high, More so it felt like i hit the OD button the dash then it went back to normal and my rpms went back down, It did this twice in a row then was fine for the rest of the 25min drive home. I even messed with it driving, Shifting it in and out slow speed high speed, I got on it hard. I know these 12v's dont have much Nut off the line. i just dont want to put all this work into changing the bodys over and have my tranny go.

keep in mind when this happened i was driving normal. Not trying to get it to down shift to get up and go.

Eric, chances are the problem you experienced is the speed sensor on the side of the transmission loss of signal. The plug on it gets loose and wears so it does not keep a solid connection. You can try cleaning things up and see what happens. This is what the speed sensor looks like: http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/917-602/image/2/ You can find it here: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1996-Dodge-RAM-2500-3-4-ton-2WD/Sensor-Transmission-Speed/_/N-j5ljhZ6o3b6?filterByKeyWord=speed+sensor&fromString=search