• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

HELP - Starting issues

Truck almost didn't want to start last night on way home from work. Got her started; good FP on way home (stock pumps), around 13-15 PSI. Got up this morning, started to crank, but no start. Turn key and won't even crank. Throwing a P0122 and so far nothing else. Just disconnected batteries couple minutes ago to reset APPS. Batteries are fairly new, 2 months old. Waiting the rest of the 30 min to try again, but looking for advice ahead of time. Will a dead VP44 always throw a code? I'm preparing myself for the worst with the VP, but hoping there's something I'm missing. If it doesn't crank again, I'll do the diagnostic on the APPS to check it out, once I get some more daylight. Already called in sick today to work this issue, but any advice is great. Thanks.

Won't even crank? Dead batteries? Apps code shouldn't create a no start. Apps code is set after running and pcm/ecm see a different voltage at apps sensor. Sunds like you have a drain somewhere on batteries. Shorted out wire somewhere draining battery. Does your fuel guage read when you turn the truck key to on position, but not start. If so, there is fuel to the vp44. Check injector lines and tubes for leaks. Crack a couple lines and see if fuel is coming out or air.

When I first tried to start this morning, it acted like low battery, i.e. it was turning very slowly. Then, next time when I tried the engine start feature of my charger, it wouldn't even do that. I just did a voltage drop check on the batteries (used DVM, turned lights on for minute, then checked VDC, and got 12.16, which indicated low charge on batteries, so hoping that's the issue. RIght now I'm charging the batteries, and will use my wife's care to attempt a start in a few minutes, and check back. I can say that definitely had a P0122 but, now after disconnecting batteries for 30 minutes, that code hasn't come back. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help.

• Owner

Starter contacts or starter brushes? Main cables problems corrosion weak connections? P0122 http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/151-p0122-apps-sensor-signal-voltage-too-low As for VP44 typically they can and will throw codes before death but not always. So far I've not seen anything point to a VP44 failure yet.

I had a similar problem a while back, except the code. Recharged batteries, replaced battery cables, checked fuel system and no luck. Tested the starter, Autozone put it on the machine and it promptly shut their machine down completely1 Put a new starter in and problem fixed. Long story short, you can be having battery problems because of other areas of the system. Good luck!

you have a stick or automatic? Can you have someone pull start you... It's a little easier to diagnose starter/battery/pump problems when engine is already warmed up..I have a 2000 that if I don't start it at least every 4 th day this winter, then there isn't enough juice after the heaters take their share. I just keep it parked so I can tug it with a tractor, my batteries are 3 yrs old tho.

No can pull start; it's auto tranny. In process of removing starter to run into town for diag. All connections look good.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

No can pull start; it's auto tranny. In process of removing starter to run into town for diag. All connections look good.

- - - Updated - - -

All is well. I pulled the starter and ran it into Autozone; it was bad. For once the lifetime warranty which I purchased 11 years ago paid off. They had to do some digging in their database as I bought it in Alabama many moves ago and they found it using a zip code from there with my name. Anyway, gave me a new one; came home slapped it on there and she fired right up. I made sure to reset the APPS before I started it to avoid any issues with that. Thanks for the advice this morning. I like easy fixes (well, had a devil of a time getting that top-mounted bolt out of the start, but a piece of PVC with a rubber mallet from below solved that).

good to hear!

Always makes me chuckle when I hear 'lifetime' warrantee! (They don't know me very well do they? :evilgrin:)

My problem is finding the dang receipt to make em honest!

I didn't have my receipt either, but after giving them the zip code where I bought the starter 11 years ago, they were able to pair up my name with the zip code and found it. You know for sure they don't expect people to hold on to a vehicle for so long, but they underestimate the love affairs we have with our cumminses (think hobbit:)).

- - - Updated - - -

Glad she's fixed!I think with the two batteries these starters will keep going for a while. But once they have had it then their not strong enough to get the compression needed. Lifetime warranties are the way to go with these trucks!

I actually replaced my batteries a couple months ago thinking it was them going bad, and after doing a voltage test on them. But noticed that it still wasn't starting like it used to. Then 3 days ago she almost didn't start leaving work. I should have gone for the 'easy' fix first before going into a panic about the APPS or the VP (at least didn't replace those yet). It was that danged P0122 that threw me off the trail yesterday. Glad there are more pragmatic folks here to help keep us on the right track when diagnosing these things. I only smashed my thumb a little yesterday, some sore fingers, but otherwise was an easy fix.

• Owner

Still running the OE starter. The only thing I've done was contact replacement. That's all. But yes there is several factors that can effect or play hell with a vehicle starting properly. I've seen a 92 Cummins with a single bad brush (out of 4) that now cranks very slowly and weakly like the batteries are dead. But they are not its just the power isn't getting to the starter while cranking. I know for this problem you can buy the brush rebuilt for the starter too from LarryB's...