• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quiet free flowing exhaust

I know the cheap thing would be to straight pipe the stock exhaust. But I have a couple issues with noise. First is that I use my truck as a service vehicle in an upscale neighborhood and the other is hunting. Mike said in some post that you could hear his truck coming for a mile. Not good for hunting. Like typical, I want my desired outcome for the least amount of money. I wish to have better flow of air through the engine and have it quiet. Is there a way to go from my stock muffler to straight pipe by pulling a lever? I'd be willing to do it from outside the vehicle.

30 inch FTE resonator mounted as far forward as possible, keeps the cab quiet and quiets the exhaust but keeps it noticable. If wanted then run a muffler behind that. The 17.5 inch resonator quiets the cab drone but keeps a straight pipe sound, the 30 inch resonator quiets both down. http://www.ftediesel.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=24&idcategory=7

I bought a brand new exhaust off a guy locally a while back at about half price, he bought it and wrecked the truck before he had the chance to install it. Its a full exhaust, with no muffler/resonator. Needless to say, the tone in the cab was unbearable. To help quiet it down, I clamped a 30" piece of unistrut to my exhaust where the muffler should have been to limit the "resonation". It was supposed to be temporary until I could get a resonator, but it quieted the truck down so much I never did anything with it. Of course it doesnt do much for being outside the truck...

Honestly for the $$$ your going to spend on that you would be better off just installing a full length exhaust with a resonator as W&F mentioned, and if thats not enough you can add a muffler later on. Trust me, the ol girl will still howl with a straight through type resonator if you step on the skinny pedal :wink:

You will find that your stock exhaust is only 3" to the muffler, the tailpipe is less. The FTE resonator is not listed for 3". http://www.ftediesel.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=7 With my Chevy gasser Heavy Hauler... built 454 sounded great running empty... headers & glass placks... but I think the horses were getting deaf!! So I put a pair of truck mufflers (duals) in & quieted it right down. The key it not killing the performance was to go oversize on the muffler & tailpipe. By the time I did my exhaust, on the Cummins, the tailpipe had rotted out & the back of the muffler was open. I bought a 4" SS kit off ebay... the muffler was straight through... essencially a huge glass pack.   (Sounded good running empty but again not suitable for towing heavy.) So I added the 4" SS FTE resonator. It would have been preferable to do it all at once...  I've always wondered if I'd have been better off to delete the silly "muffler" and install 2 of the FTE units.

Edited by flagmanruss

So, I can put the resonator on my stock 3" exhaust?

You options are very limited with your stock exhaust, best off getting a cheap 4inch system Usually aluminized diamond eye with a 30 inch FTE resonator. $300 range for all new turbo back and your done.

• 2 weeks later...

The rear unit. Call FTE Diesel and get a 30" resonator. A muffler delete is a rough way to go. The drone will be awful. The forward unit is the catalytic converter.

What he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Do it once do it right.:smart: Speaking from experience definately do the FTE resonator with a new 4" exhaust system. I have done a muffler delete and the muffler delete will make the drone unbarable in the cab. I had a single 4 inch straight pipe stack on my 02 and it was horrible in the cab, just about needed dual hearing protection, put on the 17 inch FTE resonator and the drone was totally gone but exhaust tone was still loud, currently have the factory exhaust with the catalytic converter and a muffler delete on my 05 and the exhaust noise isn't too bad in the cab but the drone especially while towing is horrible as well. I am going to upgrade to the 30 inch FTE resonator with a new 4" aftermarket exhaust very soon.

Question 1, do I need the converter? Don't live in an area where need to go through emissions inspections. Number 2, do they make the FTE resonators for the stock 3" system? Expansion on question 2, are these bolt on solutions or need to be welded?

New to the site, but just installed a 4" MBRP turbo back exauts on my 01 ECLB and in the cab almost as quiet as my stock system.

Maybe it is if you don't tow anything or work the truck hard. If you tow something the drone will be pretty loud. I had that same system on one of my trucks and it was loud. I added the FTE resonator and it fixed the drone.

- - - Updated - - -

Question 1, do I need the converter? Don't live in an area where need to go through emissions inspections. Number 2, do they make the FTE resonators for the stock 3" system? Expansion on question 2, are these bolt on solutions or need to be welded?

1. No

2. Not sure, call Wally at FTE and ask him. They make the resonators themselves. They are clamp on or you can weld them.

You really want the 4" exhaust anyway. Wally will have a low priced option for you with a 4" system and the resonator.