• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

diesel pinging

Most likely either too high of cetane or gasoline is mixed with the fuel. :think:

I dont think its due to high cetane in Florida and I know it's not gasoline in the tank. I read on one of the forums that pinging is a sign of a misfiring injector. I thought yall would know? I'll keep looking, I appreciate the comments though!!! :)

IIRC; I read a long time ago about something like this..............wound up being the a blown head gasket leaking into an adjacent cylinder. Don't remember any more than that or where I read it though.:shrug:You must have good ears to hear a pinging though...............with a straight piped 2nd gen!!!!!

Get yourself a cheap mechanics stethoscope and put it on the fuel line fitting at the head while idling. Might want to start off with only one earpiece in at first, just in case it don't work out for you, no sense blowing both eardrums. I did it on mine, it's not too loud but its a quick way to isolate the cylinder.

IIRC; I read a long time ago about something like this..............wound up being the a blown head gasket leaking into an adjacent cylinder. Don't remember any more than that or where I read it though.:shrug:

You must have good ears to hear a pinging though...............with a straight piped 2nd gen!!!!!

Yes, the wife always says I can hear the grass grow and the leaves rustle, but never her!...I don't see a problem with that!!!:shrug::lmao:

- - - Updated - - -

The only problem I have with this truck is that the O-ring is leaking bad between the power steering pump and the vacuum pump. Do you think maybe the vacuum leaking it would cause a loss in pressure and make the pinging sound?? Just guessing here out loud!!:think:

Update for you.. I read on another site that if the MAP sensor is acting up that could cause pinging. So... I had an extra good one on another 5.9 I have and changed them out and it stopped the pinging!!:hyper: Would you believe that?:shrug: I guess if the MAP is bad is would not send the right signal to the ECU that controls the injection fire?? What ya think about that??:think: