• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need to clean engine, need advice..

I've got some oil leaks and such and it's built up into grit and grime and I've never had a chance to tear things apart and fix them until now. I have an entire week that I have nothing to do and won't be needing my truck. So I was wondering what the best thing is that will melt all the greasy residue off of everything. Let me know what other tips you have for making it spotless are.

• Owner

The quickest for melting that off is over cleaner but remember it will darken bare aluminum and strip old loose paint off a engine quick so don't leave it on for long. There is another product sold only at Costco which is a degreaser to (forgot the name) but it will also do a good job but a bit slow or poor and the thick stuff Most people swaer by simple green...

At least he can fix his leaks easily. I got a leak around the last 2 valve covers that are shoved into the dash. I'd like to just pull the engine so I could get to everything but not sure I want to tackle that kind of task yet. Not sure the cherry picker will even pick it up, much less the front end loader on our small tractor :lol3:

The hell with it. Engines coming out! Went and looked and I think it will be easier than taking out my 7.3, which took less time to do than it did to set my valves last weekend :lmao:

My 24-valve still has the factory lift plate on it. It almost like they intended you to pluck it out at some time or other.

I think if I retract all the legs and the arm on the cherry picker it will be fine. I got the jack on it on the farthest out hole so it should be perfect. If not, I just remembered we used the front end loader on the tractor to pick the 6v53 detroit out of my truck bed (which is a supposed 1400lbs). One way or another it's happening. I am going to take a million pics for you all. I don't know about anyone else but even on the huge forums, I seldom see much deeper than whats under the valve covers, so I am going to attack it with cam in hand and take a million pics since it's hard to get a good shot of things when it's still under the hood. If you guys got anything in particular you want a good shot of let me know. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

What i have use and it work very well just watch out for the plastic stuff, if it set too long it will dull it, The Dregreaser is bought at "Smart & Final" retail stores (Store Brand). I mix it 50/50 w/ hot water in a 16 oz spray bottle. Spray on painted surfaces and other things needing to be clean and then use a cone tip on a water hose. You can reduce water pressure with a valve if needed. I usually spray thing down lightly every month or so, clean engines compartment makes it easier to see problems. I like to let thing dry for a few hours before running vehicle too. We use at work where we clean our pest control truck out at the end of each month on makes thing clean fast.

Edited by Bugman123
correction