• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VIRUS! Worm warning...

Mopar1973Man

From a scientific standpoint computer viruses are interesting to study, however from a computer user standpoint they are very annoying. Half the time they aren't even true viruses but a spyware program dedicated to annoying the end user into purchasing false products. I really think these people need to be in jail.

I solve that problem. I just don't open that type of stuff. Period. Even if it is from friends or family. My sister in law has had more viruses on her computer than I have had cars and trucks. But she thinks all of those type programs are great! NOT! Thanks for the warning Mike. :thumbsup:

• Owner

I solve that problem. I just don't open that type of stuff. Period. Even if it is from friends or family. My sister in law has had more viruses on her computer than I have had cars and trucks. But she thinks all of those type programs are great! NOT! Thanks for the warning Mike. :thumbsup:

I normally will not open any attachment even though I got Norton's scaning my email. I usually have phone contact with a person that is sending my a attachment and already know exactly what the files should be.

As for jokes and funny pics and what not... I tell people to QUIT sending me this waste of bandwidth. I never both with this stuff and its marked for deletion.

90% of all my mail comes from forums... (CF.Com, DB.Com, etc)

Well hey, if were gonna talk computer viruses Im in. Seemed for the longest time that I either was fighting a slow, locking up and crashing PC. Been a Norton suscriber as well as Mcaffee. too many viruses, too many crashes, and way too slow of a system. Ill bet that I have reloaded my windows operating systems 10 times if I have once. Always runs great for a while, then bingo here we go again. I decided to switch to a Mac. I know, i know... Expensive, and the entire business world runs in PC. (which is why they write viruses for them) . In the last year I have not had any virus protection,or viruses, no crashes, no performance issues. Not once have I had to reboot my laptop to get "normal." I have no dog in this fight, but i can tell you that my wife and I both run PCs at work, and when we get home we enjoy getting on the macs. (they are very fast too.) Aslo have great customer service.

I think a lot of people would be switching to macs, IF it wasn't for the fear of not knowing how to use one. I have only messed with the ones at best buy and they are still too "different" for me. Plus I have all this PC software that would become useless. But I have a fast computer now, I can't seem to get a virus, so why switch. But if you managed to make the switch, then that's great. I wish I could get into macs but I seem to be tied to all the PC crap.

• Owner

That like the other half switching to Linux. also because there is no need for Anti-virus or firewalls. But Linux and Mac both have the same problems... To fit into society you got to run Windows Apps (MS Office, etc) so in either case you got to run a emulator to fit back in the crowd and use windows software... (Yeah I went to Linux for a short time to see if it was better...) Then if you do hold out for Mac then you find all the software is more expensive and not as much available to the public. Like here where I'm at in Idaho there is nothing for Mac's at all... This is solely PC... I've had several call me regards to Mac repairs and software and found out they are stuck no one locally deals with hardware or software... So they sold the Mac and back to windows... :popcorn:

Here we go.

That like the other half switching to Linux. also because there is no need for Anti-virus or firewalls. But Linux and Mac both have the same problems... To fit into society you got to run Windows Apps (MS Office, etc) so in either case you got to run a emulator to fit back in the crowd and use windows software... I have never had to work on my emulator to fit back into society.

If you take the time to learn, you can convert most things into a format that a pc can read. All of microsofts main stream software is that way, and microsoft has had mac versions of office out for years. Only one of my kids use a mac, the other two wish they had one. They switched to PCs because they were gamers. So if your a gamer, stick with a PC. They fitted in with society playing games I guess.

If you were to go to consumer reports for best customer satisfaction for both desk top and lap top computers for 2009, you will find that the Apple mac is on top. Most systems come bundled with all the software on it. You pay more up front for similar systems, but why do people put out the bucks, because there worth it. The hard drives are more dependable, the processors are every bit as fast or faster when you start adding in the virus protection, spyware protection, worms, and who knows what all people download to protect there PCs.

(Yeah I went to Linux for a short time to see if it was better...)

As I understand it, Linux is an open source software, anybody could write software for it, kind of like windows, MacOS is not, closed architecture is how they describe it, thus more expensive, but much more reliable.

Then if you do hold out for Mac then you find all the software is more expensive and not as much available to the public.

Hold out for a mac? come on, you make it sound like going to the dentist. A lot of people held out for the Iphone and thats working out pretty well. (apple) The softwares more expensive, but is so much better than that of PCs. Automatic updates are seamless, and your old software always works. True, in the back woods of Idaho you would have trouble getting a mac repaired, but then again, if I lived in the back woods of Idaho I would definitley have a mac, because of the reliability. And if you had to, you could mail it in like every place else. Ever take anything back to Best buy? not pretty. Mail order works good for software too.

Like here where I'm at in Idaho there is nothing for Mac's at all... This is solely PC... I've had several call me regards to Mac repairs and software and found out they are stuck no one locally deals with hardware or software... So they sold the Mac and back to windows...

I just felt the need to defend Macs here, I know this is a revolving argument that can turn almost religious in nature. Not what I want to do here. but for the record, Im keeping mine. Just like my truck.

I think the point is, if you can work with a Mac and all it's benefits, then so be it. I think everyone wants all the benefits of a Mac. However, it is different, nobody knows how to use it unless you buy one and learn. Now why haven't they been mainstream?? Why does every kid down to like, 5 years old and up know how to use windows.. I think you get the drift. People want endless software from endless suppliers. Mac may have programs that do every bit as much as anything you can get for windows, but it's a hassle to get one program to suit millions of peoples needs. So you got windows.. you can now download whatever thing you want that is exactly what you want. Take web browsers. I think apple safari is incredible. But guess what, it locks up on me continuously, therefore it does not suit my needs. Firefox is fine but featureless, unless you do some digging and enabling and what not. IE is a fine but featureless with the spyware knocking at your back door. Therefore, I choose Opera. I love it. Features out the wazoo and stable as ever. What does all this mean? Means people need options. I thought safari was awesome except for the stability, now I know Macs are stable so I would guess it would never lock up on a Mac, but then I get tired of it and the fact that I can't do things in it that Opera does, but I take it I am stuck with Safari on a Mac? Not sure if I would be. So in your eye's, Mac is the best and everyone should own one.. In my eye's, diesels are the best and everyone should own one.. But no, because people want their variety.Oh and google chrome is a resource ***** like no other :lol3:

Edited by ISX

Well the core of the Macintosh 10 and later operating systems is open source as of yet. They are running BSD based code on top of the GNU Mach Microkernel. Which sounds great when it comes to porting the operating system to different hardware but anyone with a decent amount of knowledge about the Mach Microkernel could use its security flaws to exploit the kernel level routines. In layman terms this means that things can be done to the computer that would otherwise not be allowed in a traditional operating system. Windows 7 is aiming to improve security by a long shot and I really applaud Microsoft for putting a lot more R&D toward protecting their customers security. Just like life though you are safest if you use common sense. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when it comes to computers. Out of the computers I have cleaned up I have found the majority of them to have been infected via downloads on Limewire, Frostwire, Kazaa, Bittorrent, etc. People typically are trying to get music or a paid program for free when the computer becomes infected. However after you clean it all up they commit the same acts re-infecting the computer and blame you for not cleaning it well enough. My advice to anyone with a Windows based computer is to run automatic updates, keep a good antivirus program, and DO NOT open email attachments or illegally download.

• Like 1

i have hispeed cable. i run xp sp2, no autoupdates(or update period),no virus scanner, no software firewall(windows firewall disabled), and i have no problems. between keeping good policies on the router and windows group policies...as a home user, i need nothing else. because my computer is old i do not waste resources and start up time on thing that are not needed. if i had a quad core,8 gigs of ram, and a 4 terabyte raid, the sky's the limit. but smart practices beat software any day!:2cents:

• Owner

Interesting! I got my old AMD 800 MHz laptop setup the same way... No anti-virus, no firewall, no network sharing services, nothing it can surf the web but that all. The users on it are not Admins eithere they are normal user without right to install. The browser security is cranked up. But here is sits next to me and still going on the web and no sign of infection of spyware...