• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

3rd gen steering upgrade

• Staff

It looks like you went with the 08.5+ style, I am curious how you like it. I am sure you know, but be sure the alignment shops makes both outer TRE's parallel to the knuckle. The 08.5+ setup is prone to breaking if they aren't centered and parallel (unlike most steering setups).

• Like 1

It looks like you went with the 08.5+ style, I am curious how you like it. I am sure you know, but be sure the alignment shops makes both outer TRE's parallel to the knuckle. The 08.5+ setup is prone to breaking if they aren't centered and parallel (unlike most steering setups).

Hi John No didn't know this so thanks. So far I like it ... Feels firmer and smooth on my turns and steering .... But you saw the condition of my TRE etc.... It's about $300 shipped. There is a writeup on CF about it .... It's a sone swap really around 3-4 bolts and a bit of persuasion via hammer and pickle fork. Worth it I think unless you go aftermarket.

At least the wheel is easy to fix ;-)

How ? Theres some not in the steering column right ? Wasnt sure tho .... Was planning on redoing whole thing ........ not sure how it happened exactly as I think teh pitman arm can only really go one direction right ? hmmm

• Staff

The pitman arm should have an adjustment sleeve on it, it's #1 job is to center the wheel. The adjustment sleeve on the tie rod is for toe. The adjustment required to straighten a wheel is minimal, and just how it was setup. You are taking it to a shop to be aligned aren't you?

The pitman arm should have an adjustment sleeve on it, it's #1 job is to center the wheel. The adjustment sleeve on the tie rod is for toe. The adjustment required to straighten a wheel is minimal, and just how it was setup. You are taking it to a shop to be aligned aren't you?

Correct - but I was plannign on takign to shop for alignment after I get the 3rd Gen track bar in place. eg in around 1 week. Was wanting to fix this tonight. Assume you mean this .... the adjusting sleeve on top right .... loosen this and adjust steering??? http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii160/shcermak/FrontEnddiagramwithpartnumbers.jpg

• Staff

Correct - but I was plannign on takign to shop for alignment after I get the 3rd Gen track bar in place. eg in around 1 week. Was wanting to fix this tonight. Assume you mean this .... the adjusting sleeve on top right .... loosen this and adjust steering??? http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii160/shcermak/FrontEnddiagramwithpartnumbers.jpg

That's the one. Turn the key one click from off (then the wheel is unlocked and the ECM isn't "on"), and adjust it until the wheel is centered. You aren't going to be driving it much are you? It doesn't take too many miles out of toe to eat thru and destroy a pair of tires. Most places give you a 30 day guarantee on the alignment, so you could take it in and get it right and then put the track bar on and have it checked. All the track bar should effect is the steering wheel center anyhow.
  • Like 1

That's the one. Turn the key one click from off (then the wheel is unlocked and the ECM isn't "on"), and adjust it until the wheel is centered. You aren't going to be driving it much are you? It doesn't take too many miles out of toe to eat thru and destroy a pair of tires. Most places give you a 30 day guarantee on the alignment, so you could take it in and get it right and then put the track bar on and have it checked. All the track bar should effect is the steering wheel center anyhow.

When you say adjust it (after loosenign) - you mean from teh sterring wheel - or from below ? ok - will plan to get to alignemnt shop as soon as I can then :) thx for heads up. :thumb1:

• Staff

From below, but the wheel needs to be able to move as it's easier than turning the tires when they are on the ground. When you pull foreword to a stop ignore the wheel position and make sure the truck is tracking straight. Then adjust the wheel to be straight. Make sure you move the pitman arm in the correct direction so it's centered still.

• Staff

What is the track width difference on a 3rd vs 2nd gen? Is the steering box in a different spot based on frame width?It doesn't really matter if the pitman arm isn't centered as long as the steering box is in the middle of it turning radius, and steering wheel is straight.

What is the track width difference on a 3rd vs 2nd gen? Is the steering box in a different spot based on frame width? It doesn't really matter if the pitman arm isn't centered as long as the steering box is in the middle of it turning radius, and steering wheel is straight.

Think the track width and frame wifth must be the same as this is supposedly a direct bolt on replacement with no adjustment needed. Something happened on my install though to result in the steering 180 around. Problem is I adjusted it last night and got the steering back upright but lost 1/4 turn radius on the left ..... so I have a 10am appointment for an alignment .......... :banghead:

If you didn't take the pitman arm off don't take it off to adjust. Loosening up 2 bolts on sleeve closest to pitman arm, get a pair of channel locks or pipe wrench and turn sleeve till steering wheel is in center, tighten up and drive, repeat if necessary. As said earlier it will be easier if the steering wheel is not locked. You could also adjust toe in with a tape measure 1/8-1/4 inch of toe in will get you to alignment shop. Good luck