• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Are all custom valve bodies created equal?

I live near Source Automotive. They offer a valve body upgrade. The question I have is...are all valve bodies created equal? Just because they are close to me doesn't mean it the best on or even a good one. But the benefit is that they'd be installing it. So no finger pointing if something doesn't work as it should. I do have a transmission guy also that did my t/c and did a minor tear down of the transmission for inspection while it was out. He gave me an old valve body that I can use as a core. So I could have him install any valve body in the planet. Any thoughts?

No they definately are not created equal. Different companies do different internal modifications to increase flow and pressures and control shift quality ect.Some companies just throw in el-cheapo after market shift kit parts.Best thing to do is visit with them and find out what they do to them or if they are selling another companies product if so find out whos VB they are selling.I have had very good luck personally with BD and Suncoast VBs and converters. I know DTT and Goerends are among the tops in quality as well.The only big name company I would stay away from is ATS, I have been around a lot of their products and have been less than impressed as have a lot of others I know. They have less than accomodating customer service after the sale if you have issues.Seeing you already have an aftermarket TC to best match you up they should get the specs from the company to best match the performance of the VB to the TC. They will need to know what the stall RPM is or in other words if it is a tight or lose converter some list this as a percentage.

^^^^^^^^^^^ this Give several different companies a call, and let them tell you what is best for your application. By doing this you will also get a feel for their customer service. You can by 2 valve bodies that are exactly the same, but for me it comes down to who do I want to deal with if I have a problem.

Do custom valve bodies have a downside? I've done no transmission upgrades. Just a twin disc T/C. I already get a pretty good jar when dropping into gear. Shift isn't sharp though. Plus I can go through school zones at idle (20 mph) once rolling. From dead stop about 12mph. Is this what they call "low stall"?

Do custom valve bodies have a downside? I've done no transmission upgrades. Just a twin disc T/C. I already get a pretty good jar when dropping into gear. Shift isn't sharp though. Plus I can go through school zones at idle (20 mph) once rolling. From dead stop about 12mph. Is this what they call "low stall"?

Low rpm stall is a very efficient or tight converter,Higher stall rpm converters are looser and less efficient, the stock converters are very very loose and inefficient and stacked with low lube and clutch application pressure from the stock VB,s make for sluggish performance and premature lockup clutch failures. There are no down sides to the good after market VB's but taking a VB and installing a cheap shift kit will give you a sour experience, bad shift quality and still low lube pressure ect. There are a lot of modifications to the valving and porting of the good VBs that a drop in shift kit does not address, all they do is change shift pressures and points via different springs ect.

Low stall converters also cause their share of hard part failures in my experience. I would never get a low stall converter again. You can't run them in the newer trucks anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Do custom valve bodies have a downside? I've done no transmission upgrades. Just a twin disc T/C. I already get a pretty good jar when dropping into gear. Shift isn't sharp though. Plus I can go through school zones at idle (20 mph) once rolling. From dead stop about 12mph.

Is this what they call "low stall"?

The jar from dropping into lockup is hard on your transmission. Usually people have to drill a hole in their vb to get that type of shift. Are you sure you don't have a shift kit in there?

A custom VB would shift smoother (slower) if you wanted it to. The custom vb would also have higher line pressures so the clutches were gripped harder. The tc or vb have nothing to do with your gearing so speeds will stay the same at a given rpm. What does happen is there is less slip in the transmission.

It has been my experience that a stock tranny with a custom vb will last 350k to 400k miles. A rebuild with a bunch of expensive parts and tight converter about 150k to 200k. A certain amount of slip keeps the tranny from killing itself in my opinion.

If your towing, the low stall converter will make it hard to keep the turbo spooled during shifts. You will absolutely hate it.

• Like 1

Low stall converters also cause their share of hard part failures in my experience. I would never get a low stall converter again. You can't run them in the newer trucks anyway.

Yep what Caj said is true^^^^^^^^^^^ Very low stall converters are more for those that doesn't tow or pull anything, drag racers tend to like a tight converter where as power pullers tend to like a looser converter that allows for more spool up rpms before full stall is reached. For the average guy one in the middle is the best choice usually 89% efficient is what the big companies tend to call them 91% is tight and under 89 is on the looser side.

Yep what Caj said is true^^^^^^^^^^^ Very low stall converters are more for those that doesn't tow or pull anything, drag racers tend to like a tight converter where as power pullers tend to like a looser converter that allows for more spool up rpms before full stall is reached. For the average guy one in the middle is the best choice usually 89% efficient is what the big companies tend to call them 91% is tight and under 89 is on the looser side.

Have to disagree just a little WF.. High HP Drag racers use converters that stall up to 6,000 rpm its the nature of the beast in gasoline/Alcohol high performance.. the torque curve goes higher in the rpm as you increase HP thus stall must increase proportionally. The big drawback to higher stall is higher trans temperatures kinda like driving a standard with your foot half on the clutch

Have to disagree just a little WF.. High HP Drag racers use converters that stall up to 6,000 rpm its the nature of the beast in gasoline/Alcohol high performance.. the torque curve goes higher in the rpm as you increase HP thus stall must increase proportionally. The big drawback to higher stall is higher trans temperatures kinda like driving a standard with your foot half on the clutch

I am strictly talking diesel performance here not gasser guys.

I am strictly talking diesel performance here not gasser guys.

Point taken.. I had`nt thought about the benefits of stall speed with relation to towing, but it makes perfect sense being able to get the turbo spooled quicker.. Thats something the stick shift guys don`t have to worry about.

I just had my trans built with a triple and a so called cheap shift kit that wasnt cheap, i got a transgo tfod diesel, and yes it does change line pressure in all gears. An aftermarket valve body is similar, because there are no moving parts inside, you change the plate, and make new holes just like the aftermarket valve bodies.with my stock trans it would shift 1-2 before 15mph, now if i have a load or a light foot empty its 1500rpm before shift, and the shifts are firmer too, and lock up is amazing throws you back in the seat. There are some cheap kits, but to do the tfod correctly you must use the included sealing rings for the pump, thats why i waited for tear down. You get new manual rod as well that keeps fluid flowing in park.

- - - Updated - - -

That is also why most of the so called name brand VB for sale need you to send your core in. I know BD does for sure, so they can take it apart and modify it which is basically shift kitting it, and putting their name plate on it. Otherwise they wouldnt need your core.