• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Electric radiator fan?

I did a quick search on the subject. Nobody seems to think the mod is worthy. Is that still the case. Payoff in fuel economy not realistic? Read so threads on other forums of guys using Ford Taurus fans on the cheap with reasonable success.

I too have thought of doing this mod but I can't justfiy the $700 for a Flex-lite kit not mention the removal and modification of item's to gain 1ish mpg and a couple of HP. If the fan is turning freely as Mopar1973Man said it's not eating up that much power plus you'd be using electric power from the battery to power it making your altenator work more pulling your engine down just the same as if the fan kicked in. but if i had to work on another piece under the hood and removed these item's to get to it then yeah i'd through it on while in there. of course if i had the extra cash to :spend::wink:

I did the mod using the Flex-a-lite fan assembly on my gen 2 truck (back when they were $400 +).No mpg or performance benefit could be detected.If you are a heavy puller then you will also loose cooling capacity at the higher towing weights.Directions say to not install if GVW is 20K pounds or above.The engine is quieter because you don't have the noise of the stock viscous fan engagement.I can't identify any other benefits from the install.

• Like 1

• Owner

Let's say that your A/C compressor adds more load than the fan does. Being the A/C compressor is constantly running compared to the fan that only locks up at high temperature and free spools the rest of the time. As long as the coolant temp is below 205*F the fan is free spinning for the most part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How aboiut adding an electric fan to the AC condensor?? would that help my AC get coolder faster and stay colder. mine in town puts out 50, then on the hwy after 3-4 miles will get down to 40. Sorry if this isn'[t the right place, it was just on the electric fan idea...

• Owner

Not really. Even the stock fan clutch if it detects enough engine heat it will partial engage to lock the fan to keep air flow enough during heavy traffic and keep the cab cool. Even on 100-110*F day crawling around on forestry roads at 10-20 MPH I have zero problems keeping the cab cool. Vent temperature is 35-38*F who can ask for more.My question is... Q: Is your compressor cycling in and out? If so then check your freon pressures in those conditions and find out what is going on you might be low on freon. Even Sanden Compressor manual states the compressor should remain lock under normal conditions and only cycle up to 2 times in 1 minute tops.