• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel gauge trouble

My fuel gauge only reads between full and a little over half full.Is this a problem on 2001's, I know on my 96 it was common except itwould not work at all. What can I check out with out dropping tank?Does the overhead display that gives mpg readout use the gauge to compute totals.ThanksDavid

• Owner

So you need to replace the fuel gauge sender in the tank its a dealer only item that cost about $70 bucks roughly for JUST the sender. You don't need the whole pickup assembly. (Which the dealer loves to sell!) As for fixing without dropping the tank... Sorry its coming out... As for the overhead display (overhead idiot) yeap... It uses the sender values to calulate MPG's which makes it the most inaccurate measurement. :rolleyes2:

• Owner

What is involved using the Scangauge II as a fuel gauge?

Plugging the ScanGauge II into the OBDI port. Initial fillup you put info into the gauge and then every time you fuel up you put into the unit how much fuel it takes to fill up your tank. The unit tells you your avg mpg, how much fuel you have left in the tank. Here is a link for the unit: http://www.scangauge.com/ .

Here is how to calibrate the SG II http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/personal/2002/bombs/scangauge2/calibration/calibration.htm Now Setup the Xgauge to display the Gallons remaining... But remember you MUST fill the tank everytime to keep the SG II accurate... You don't need to change calibrate everytime but you must reset the SG II by going through the fillup process just don't change the settings... Edited by Mopar1973Man

Drop the tank.It's not hard.Put a 2x6 in the middle of the tank straps.Put a floor jack under it.Snug the 2x6 to the tank.Remove the 2 bolts on the straps.Take a small prybar to the front strap to help get it out.Lower about 4 inches.Go under, remove the plastic ring on the tank and get it out of the way.It is possible to do this without removing the wires and return line.But it is better to remove them.The fuel return line is a booger to get off if you never did it before.The sending unit is tall,you will need to lower the tank.There is a point when lowering the tank that it will rear up because the fuel moving around.No big deal.If the straps fall off the truck it is ok.You need to look at the top of the tank.On it will be two hash marks on the tank. | | You need to line up the arrow on the sending unit in the center of the hash mark.Be careful when removing the sending unit it has a long bent float and the unit will have some fuel in it.Be carefull with the old one when removing it from the tank.Because you have to do it with the new one.My tank has been out a few times it just sounds hard.Wish i could help you do it to me it's a fun job.I sent you a pm.

Edited by dually
  • Like 1