• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gut convertor?

sngsht

I've been bouncing the idea of gutting my Catalytic convertor around in my head for awhile. The theory is to increase exhaust flow obviously, but I've been reading all sorts of conflicting theories. Anyone have any experience with this? Pro's/Cons??

Does it need to be on the rig in your area for emissions, if not pull it off completely and sell it to a salvage yard, converters are as good as gold now days with the material inside them being the prize.The converters on 3rd gens are the least restrictive part of the exhaust and if you are near stock isn't an issue at all.

Don't do it unless you live in a state that doesn't test.......or is likely to test in the near future.As W&F said; the kitty on 3rd gens is not "restrictive" at all. Just straight pipe it after the kitty or put a "free-flowing" straight thru muffler on and call it good. There are no performance gains by ditching the kitty.

I'm running 2 stroke oil at approx 1/2 + oz per gallon, think this will have any long term affect to the convertor? I know oil in the exhaust on a gas engine, will mess one up,how about long term on a diesel?

Shouldn't be an issue, the diesel converters are a bit different than gassers.I just got done giving 2 stroke at 1 oz per gallon a try the last month on my 05 ran a gallon of oil through it and noticed zero benefit from it so will not be continuing it myself. Mine actually got louder seemed like it had more timing rattle with the oil added.

I was running 1oz per, but cut it back to 1/2 oz per gallon as several had suggested..I personally think mine was a bit quieter at the 1oz level,but warm starts may (or may simply be my imagination) be just a bit quicker..

• Owner

At nearly 1/2 oz to gallon or 200:1 ratio your injectors will love you for it. There is typically little to no change for 3rd Gen people because the pre-injection event mask the change. No 2 cycle oil will not harm a 3rd Gen but it might add miles to you weak injectors that cost a pretty penny to replace. Even Bosch states that US fuel doesn't meet the requirements for Bosch fuel systems. Remember today fuel at the pump is ~520 HFRR.

Posted Image

As for the convertor. I would also consider just changing out the muffler or change out the entire exhaust system as a full kill and put your stock system aways if the need be. Let's just say my stock 3" pipe without a muffler supports just about 400 HP without any EGT's issues or flow issues and still keeping 20-22 MPG. So your 4" with a CAT I doubt there is much restriction.

• Like 1

Your preaching to the choir ,when it comes to the 2 stroke oil! After reading all the charts ,I'm sold on it's long term benefits, even if they aren't something I can "feel" performance wise..It's affect on the convertor was just something that hit me the other day when I was under it doing the trans service. I assumed given the nature of a diesel, that the Cat's. on them would have to be more tolerant of fuel/oil in the exhaust than the gasoline version,but still was curious. Thats the great thing about this forum that i think sets it apart,there is almost always a a definition as to why something works or doesn't work..Not to mention, quite a bit of factual detail in the explanation or even opinion concerning the issue..Kudo's to you guy's ,that's for sure!