• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

rebuilding a 24 valve

i was just wandering when you guys rebuild your engines what brand of kits do you use and can any machine shop do the work or is this something you have to make sure they know what their doing? how many of you guys do your own rebuilding, is it pretty easy or a thing a pro should do. i have rebuilt gas engines but never a diesel .

They need rebuilt? :lmao2:Just kidding. This doesn't seem to come up much. My gas engine builder says that he sees very very few pre common rail Cummins engines, but has a common rail a week go through his shop on average. As for what parts he puts in, I really don't know. According to him, the main killer of a cummins is a bad CR injector, a loss of ring seal, excess oil burn, oil starvation, and then lost rod bearings. He said as long as you don't over rev the engine and keep oil in the thing, its a-ok. I haven't rebuilt one, but the only thing that a lot of people seem to try with negative results is marine pistons. I would avoid them as they really aren't built for the power curve needs that a truck has, and requires marine injectors for proper spray pattern.

• Owner

i was just wandering when you guys rebuild your engines

Typical average between 500k to 1 million miles. So have go much farther than 1 million without a rebuild.

what brand of kits do you use

Since rebuilds are very rare and most that fail before this point are from pushing to hard so they end up doing custom building at this point.

and can any machine shop do the work or is this something you have to make sure they know what their doing? how many of you guys do your own rebuilding, is it pretty easy or a thing a pro should do. i have rebuilt gas engines but never a diesel .

Once again rebuilding is not common place unless you planing on going big HP/TQ which requires upgrades like cams and such. But most people can do their own rebuilding its just the machine work should be done it a shop that's typically handles diesels.

machine shops, well if it's a competent shop then they should;d be able to bore and hone then line bore the block no problems., heads are a different story, make sure they know the ins and outs of the cummins head. as for assembly of said engine parts, get a good DIESEL shop to do the work. one that has a proven tract record with the cummins. but seeings how the truck will fall apart around the engine, not alont make it to the point of needing rebuilt. LOL.

I've rebuilt them and aren't really hard to do. The hardest part is the camshaft tappets but if you can rotate the block upside down then you don't have to worry about them falling out. We obviously used mopar parts when I worked at the dealer, but talk to your local machine shop and they will order everything you need and find out if they can machine whatever you need.