• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Grid heater temp..

Got bored and went out and stared at the beast, being 16F out and nowhere to go I decided to get a little curious. Took the intake off and measured just how hot the grids actually got. Topped out around 500F.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Now here is the goofy part of the design... Which direction does the heat go? Up of course right into the intake elbow away from the engine. So basically your heating a pool of air to suck into the engine at start time. Its is why 2 key cycles are needed for 0*F and colder. Need to heat up that alminum elbow a bit... Now during a running engine I imagine the numbers would greatly differ, being cold air is drawn across those grid heaters... But thanks for the tidbit of information... I'm sure no one else has that on there forum...:thumbsup:

I was going to get a heat gun and let it blow in for a while and see how well it started but I have no idea where it walked off to. I didn't think of the heat going up thing. That intake horn was the coldest thing on the whole engine, I could only touch it for maybe 10 seconds at a time before my hands felt frostbit. Be neat to put an air hose at the top of the horn, facing straight down into the intake and have a little tank and just open a valve and let it blow down through the grids and fill the intake with hot air. It stayed up around 500f for a long time. I'd say it must have only taken 5 seconds to get it there, guess it knows to stay on and get some heat energy into more than just the grid coils. Be so easy to drill and tap an air hose into it though! :stir:

Now what to do about the boost leak you create??? :confused:

Same thing I do to keep the pressure in the air tank.. Shut the damn valve :lol3: Would have to be a big line or something. I know low volume/high pressure just forms ice crystals and whatnot, which would probably hinder the effect I want.