• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV4500 Problem shifting into reverse

Yesterday when I went to leave work I tried to put my truck into reverse but it wouldn't go in for some reason so I just coasted back and took off home, once I got home I played around trying to get it to go into reverse again but it was a no go. It feels as if the reverse lockout is stuck making it so I can't use reverse but I don't really know much about the inner workings of the NV4500. I've rebuilt a few transmissions out of semi's but they seem simpler to me.At this point I'm thinking I'll have to drop the trans and pull the top off when I get a chance unless any of you who know the NV4500 have any other ideas.

When i had my nv5600 i got into the habit of going to firsr then reverse everytime i had to go into reverse. Seemed to sync the gears better that way

That is because you stopped the gears from spinning when you went into first. The syncros in first allowed you to put it gear without grinding thereby stopping all the spinning gears.

How new is your clutch? When mine was getting to the end of it's life, I would need to be rolling to put it into 1st or reverse as the clutch was not fully releasing. If engine was off it shifted no problems while sitting.My 83 Mustang 5 litre needs to go into 5th before I try reverse, has been that way for a decade or more.