• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NEWB, with an ECM question

hi everyone my name is Jason barrett, I live in Lincoln Ca, I have an 02 2500 with a few simple things done, 4inch mbrp turbo back exhaust, BHAF, 2.5 inch leveling kit, quadzilla dxzt-02 programmer, an expensive transmission, with a d&p triple disc billet converter, billet servos, billet valve body, Kevlar bands, and that is about it for now. My ECM question is in my opinion a dumb one, I think I might know the answer to. so here we go, what exactly is the difference between a 2002 6speed ecm and a 2002 automatic ecm? I am assuming that the automatic one controls the shifting/ shift points in the transmission.

The PCM controls the auto tranny, but it does this with the info the ECM feeds it from the various other sensors. If you put a manual ECM on an auto the PCM does not get that info because the ECM thinks there is a manual on the truck. That is a very simplistic explanation and my understanding of how it works. There are far smarter people than I that will come along and explain it in further detail and maybe tell me I am full of it. In which case I will go stand in the corner with my funny hat on. There are no dumb questions here other than the one you dont ask. So welcome the the farm. You wont be sorry you came. On a side note, are you still running the oe lift pump?

Yes i still have the oe lift pump. I think it's time for it to go. Been reading allot on here about the good and the not so good. Just need to get some coin to drop on one.

I am with you on that one. I did not install mine until about 2.5 years ago after joining here.Had the coin then. Save up for a pressure gauge also, they go hand in hand.

The other difference in ECMs is that the manual ECM has no "Torque control" as the Auto ECM does. It was put on to keep the engine from destroying the 47RE stock trans. You can remove some of it with the Smarty programmer, or use the RAD box, but as you mod your truck, you will find it's not needed to remove. Ed