• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brake line leak?

I am losing brake fluid on my 99 Ram 3500 Dually and I noticed there is brake fluid running down the side of the fuel tank.:shrug: Is there a hard line in the frame rail there? Do I have to drop the tank to fix it? Can it be routed a different way? The tank is plum full, so I hope I don't have to drop it!

Yes, the lines for the rear brakes are ran inside the frame rail behind the fuel tank. You can reroute them if you want to but they are better protected inside the frame. Also keep in mind that while everyone seems to use them, including me, compression fittings are illegal to use on brake lines and if inspected they can make you have it towed. That being said, if you can determine which line it is, if there is more than one brake line going to the rear of your truck, you can disconnect it at the next connection forwards and the rear which should let you fish it through behind the tank without dropping the tank. Still wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the tank once it is closer to empty so you can secure the new line before a hole gets rubbed through it or anything else.

• Like 1

Yep, the line that runs behind the tank is leaking. Unfortunately that is a typical spot to leak. Whether or not you pull the tank is up to you, but I seem to remember there is a clamp behind the tank (been about four years since mine leaked there.

Yes, the lines for the rear brakes are ran inside the frame rail behind the fuel tank. You can reroute them if you want to but they are better protected inside the frame. Also keep in mind that while everyone seems to use them, including me, compression fittings are illegal to use on brake lines and if inspected they can make you have it towed. That being said, if you can determine which line it is, if there is more than one brake line going to the rear of your truck, you can disconnect it at the next connection forwards and the rear which should let you fish it through behind the tank without dropping the tank. Still wouldn't be a bad idea to drop the tank once it is closer to empty so you can secure the new line before a hole gets rubbed through it or anything else.

What type of line do they use, it looks like a rubber hose and not metal tubing like I thought it would be. What diameter do they use, I would like to put hard lines in if that is acceptable practice for this.

• Owner

My local Chevron fuel station sells double flare brake line in a assorted lengths. So I would cut and double flare the existing ends then add a small piece of brake line with brass brake fittings in-between. Yes you'll have to drain the fuel tank and drop it to do the repair correctly. Other than that your a safety hazard to you and others.

• Like 1

What type of line do they use, it looks like a rubber hose and not metal tubing like I thought it would be. What diameter do they use, I would like to put hard lines in if that is acceptable practice for this.

That is a steel line. There is a covering on it to 'help' keep it from corroding. You do not NEED to pull the tank, but it helps to get the new line in place. Crawl under the truck and look at the line. You will see where the fittings are and then you can measure the line to see how long of a line to buy. I believe it is 3/16" line.

The only rubber hose/hoses behind the fuel tank that i have ever seen are part of the fuel system. The rubber brake hose should go from the axle up to the steel line to the rear of the fuel tank and should be steel line to the front of the truck from there. With your truck being a 99 I'm thinking it should have drum brakes on the rear, and i think they had a valve for the rear brakes above the axle that has a linkage rod going to the rear axle. There should be a steel line from that valve all the way to the front, no rubber hoses until it drops to attach to the axle.Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-NiCopp-Nickel-Copper-Brake-Lines/2111534/10002/-1 JR This is the type of brake line I use, I will not use the standard type anymore. This stuff will not rust and is very permeable (I can make bends by hand with out kinking it). It is more expensive than standard brake line but you will never have to worry about it again. Standard brake line will only last a few winters around here before it starts looking real sketchy again. I can actually get this at my local auto parts store so the link is just provided for an example.
  • Like 1