• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

filters??

fm676

I have an 06 dually,Is there such a thing as a good filter "under 7 micron" that is not an after market setup. I plan on getting an after market, or better than stock filtration system down the road. Until then would like to protect my injectoin system as much as possible.Also will a stock in the tank pump work on an after market two filter setup?

I have a 8 micron pre-filter and a 3 micron final filter on mine with the stock in-tank fuel pump with over 60k on it, and have no issues with fuel supply or pressure. So there would be no issue for now as long as you pump is in good shape.

One thing to remember too is when running fine micron filters 5um and smaller you will need to blend the fuel down sooner in the cold weather, I run straight #2 fuel with the fleetguard 7 mic down to 0*to10*f if it gets colder than 0*f sustained I will start putting 75% #2 and 25% #1 blended fuel and never anymore than that. Everyone with a Duramax that runs 5-2 micron filters will be stalled along the road with #2 at the same temps as the fuel is not gelled but is thickened to the point it can't flow through the filter fast enough to keep it running much past idle.I see them along the roads all the time around here.The HPFP 150 FASS I had on my 02 wasn't a fan of temps below zero either, always had issues with it wanting to pump my thick fuel when initially started when it sat outside in sub zero temps, usually let it idle for about 10 minutes an then shut it down and refired it and then it would build pressure. Sometimes it wouldn't even prime up during initial key on sometimes it would prime but extremely slowly.

• Staff

The only time I have ever gelled was in my 20um filter, the 5um and 3um were fine. When the parafins gel they are larger than 20um. I wonder if the duramax has as good of fuel heater as our trucks? It also explains the FASS issue, no heater. Is the fuel in your area not winterized? The last place I filled up was already running a 10% #1 blend, plus additive. By the time the temps get down around 0 the mix is pretty close to 50:50, but advertised as #2.

There are a few places that sell "Winterized fuel" but most stations carry straight #2 year round, then depending on the station a 50/50 blend and then straight #1, a few actually have blender pumps which you can choose from straight #2 to straight #1 in 25% increments.

Yeah I don't know what the duramax guys have for heaters but they are always the first to drop in cold weather if not running a blend. They think they are gelled but don't understand the capability or lack there of for the filter to flow a fuel that is just starting to thicken but not actually be gelled yet. Most just throw 911 and new filters at them.:doh:

Had a young kid pull up to the pump opposite me at the station a couple days ago.............40*f and already looking for #1 fuel complaining how cold it is, I had to do a bit of educating at that point but I don't think he got it, looke dto be early 20's with a $70K all decked out lift kit ect ect ect powerstroke. all these young kids making good oil money right out of high school and don't know any better.:banghead:

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm seeing right, fm676 indicates he lives in 'land o lakes fl', I don't think it gets that cold there.

But other than that I agree with ya.

lol...............I didn't see that but was just making a general comment anyhow.

Not everything sits outside, it is cold here that is why a lot have garages and or heated garages shops ect, this is a huge benefit, once the fuel starts circulating it warms the rest as well but leaving a building with warm fuel is already a big plus. Most will start to use a blend only when they start seeing issues from straight #2 not cutting it anymore and not a day sooner with the cost being so much higher.Mainly they let people be in control of what they put in the tanks yet versus just selling what they want you to buy.

The coldest I get is around 15 -20 in KY during hunting season

-20 in KY...........................Where????........................The BS-O-Meter is almost pegged!!! -20 with wind chill....................but straight air temp.................mucho doubtage here.

Ok now, ya'll been talking about normal diesel, grades 1 & 2. But with all this blending of 5% to what is the max sold normally now, 20% ??? Bio ... what does that change for Gel temp ? And is it still blended into #1 diesel ? (We only sell #2 year round here.)