• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hello from Ca

slodizzel

Hello Everyone, Been visiting the site more and more trying to diagnose what's wrong with my 99 6 speed 4x4. Been having an issue with a cel (p1694) that I think is being caused by a bad ecm.From what I've seen it seems like the site had a lot of good info so hopefully I get it figured out, been quite the headache! Damn Ca smog!

• Owner

Welcome to the family.

As far as the error code P1694...

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2nd-generation-24v-dodge-cummins/59-obdii-error-codes/232-p1694-no-bus-message-received-from-companion-module

Before jumping out there you might want to double check the diagnostic first for clues and check over wiring issues.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up! That makes sense. I know that the radio was messed with so I think that's a good place to start. Is there a specific part of the radio wiring that's included in the CCD Network or just the whole radio harness? I'm assuming the wiring to the steering wheel as well? Also noticed the overhead console is included on the same network. Is that the display that has temperature, etc?Again, thanks for your help! It's really appreciated!

• Owner

Radio mostly. But the steering wheel controls went back over to the Central timer to be sent out on the CCD network. So its the central timer and the radio as a communication pair. Still a easy way is to measure the CCD voltage and see if there is 2.49 and 2.51 volts in reference to ground. If not start unplugging all the accessories one at a time looking for the voltage to return. The one that allows it to return is the failed unit. You only need PCM, ECM and instrument cluster to work.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Welcome to the forum and hope you get a good ECM. I have read about a few cos. sending bad ones out so get a good exchange garantee.

Hope your in a good part of Cali. There are some very nice parts.

I'm in Oregon wondering when our California weather will end. It's been nice for working on the truck but we have lots and lots of forests here.

Worried about fires

Mike

Keep us posted what happens with your truck as it helps us all when we hear how it got fixed.

Dodge or Cummins. I dont trust rebuilders of ECM's. Mine went out and I went that route with very poor results and a lot of down time, about 6 weeks. I just recently found out my ECM is from Cummins. I got it from a local mechanic in TN. The ECM and programming cost me about $1400. He did it in his shop, but I am not sure how the programming was done since there was no Dodge dealer in that town. 

Thats my  :2cents: worth on the subject.

Edited by dripley

• Staff

Wow, Driply that's a lot of money. I understand fully about getting good parts and money well spent. I've done things like that too knowing it's the best.

Do you have any idea why yours went out? Excessive heat? internal short? Be nice to open that puppy and get some pics for us all someday.

Never found out what went wrong with. Had to send it in for a core. If you think what I paid was expensive go to the dealer and price. Near $2,000. I thought I got a pretty fair price. Anyway check this outhttp://forum.mopar1973man.com/index.php?/topic/6007-have-you-ever-wondered-what-is-inside-the-ecm-case/ I hope this is what you were wanting to see.

Not sure of the total cost of the rebuild I tried to go with, but the cost of the ECM and all the down time with a car rental was well over the $2,000

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't get any notifications on the topic, whoops! Thanks for posting up the info guys, appreciate it!

I honestly don't have the money for that so I've been looking at used ones from classifieds. Just not sure what I can and can't use. Does it matter if it's from an auto or a manual? Can it come from a newer truck? I'm assuming I'll have to get it reflashed either way, just need to know what I can use.