• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift pump placement

Ok gentleman for those of you with much more experience than me I am going to be getting a Raptor FRRP 100 shortly. Now according to the installation instructions your supposed to put it in the stock location. However I keep reading about other Cummins owners putting it as close to the fuel take as possible and mounting it to the frame. So my question is should I go by the instructions and mount that bad boy in the stock location? Or should I mount it on the frame? And if so on the frame why? Thanks in advance for all that chime in with there knowledge and experience!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. THE PUMP ON frame will make it a push pump, which is always better then pulling.2. there is a lot less vibration when mounted to the frame, which makes the pump last longer.All that being said when I put on my Raptor FRRP I put in the stock location. Knock on wood ! year and running.

I bought a AirDog pump which came with brackets to mount to the frame without drilling (I gather a no-no). Mounted easily & works fine. I'd inquire where you buy your LP about brackets... might even come with. Even the OEM lift pump is improved (not enough in my view) by relocating it closer to the tank & some here have done just that.

the AirDog mount is a plate on both sides of the frame which the LP mounts to. The AD mount for the long bed is lengthwise inside the frame rail. A short bed bracket used to be available but is now discontinued. An earlier thread: http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/5568-Made-my-own-shortbed-bracket-for-my-AD150?highlight=airdog+bracket

Thanks Flagmanruss for that link! However I don't have a welder so that's probably out if the question. Too bad AirDog doesn't make the short bed bracket anymore that's the one I'll be needing. So I understand that it's better to mount the FRRP into the frame however it's made to be mounted in the stock location wouldn't this work out fine since it's made to be put there even though it will be a pull pump at that point? Also do I have to replace the draw straw when doing this install or can I utilize the old one? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Staff

Before I put my Fuel Boss on I relocated Carter "campaign" pump to the frame. I made the bracket out of sheet metal from an old AAA sign. Cut a piece out of it about 12"x12" put it in a vice, heated it with a torch and beat on it with a 4# hammer till it had a 90 degree bend in it. Marked out where to drill the holes for the pump and a spin on prefilter. The other side of the bracket was slipped behind the metal fuel lines and bolted to the frame with #12 sheet metal screws and fender washers. I'm still using the bracket for an Airtex pump that's used to prime/back up the Fuel Boss. Don't forget to paint the bracket if it's made of steel.:smart:

The AD came with an extension harness. It seems the pump your are looking at plans to install in the OEM location & the kit includes a bracket & fittings. I believe closer to the tank is better but would need for you to make/obtain different fittings & an extension harness. I would inquire from your dealer since they've undoubtedly done this before. You should not need a draw straw or drop the tank if you have the on engine lift pump. (And not the Dodge retrofit in tank pump which is equally troublesome.)

Thanks for the info flagmanruss! I was just going with the raptor 100 cause it's cheaper but when you consider that if I want to mount it in the frame I'll have to get a wire harness, a filter before the new pump and I was wanting to go with a 1/2" fuel line from the tank to the VP 44! He'll I might as well get the Air a Dog 100 or 150 lol which I think includes everything. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The raptor is pretty much the same kit as an airdog. It mounts back by the tank with the same brackets as an airdog and has all the wiring land hoses needed. It is plug and play. It will hook into the back of filter housing so you will need to get a big line kit from the filter housing to the vp44. The only difference between a raptor and aidog is the airdog has a filter and water seperator. If you want extra protection for your raptor. Get a inline fuel filter that is like 120 microns. Just ask your parts store for one that goes into 1/"2 hose and mount it between the pump and the tankYes, relocating the lift pump back to the frame makes a huge difference. Like i said before the heat and vibration from the engine takes out the lift pumps. Also it is easier to push the fuel than to pull it.

• Like 1

Klcammie, then why'd you mount yours in the stock location? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a pump and filter from Blue Ridge Diesel to try and save my OEM lift pump. It is mounted back by the fuel tank. OEM still died after one year, so I wanted a lift pump to run in the stock location that could boost the 10 lbs from my pump on the frame. It has worked well for 2 years. Knock on wood.