• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lift pump placement

Thanks IBMobile for getting back with some pics! I've decided to go with the Raptor 100 and bolt it the frame with a big line kit from the fuel bowl to the vp44 and an inline filter before the Raptor. I've priced it from AirDog and got a $400.00 quote. Which I thought was kinda low but will see when it comes time to buy it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pureflow/Raptor/Airdog quality has gone way downhill. If you go to Cumminsforum, you will see all the failures. It's like buying an Autozone alternator (made in China) with a lifetime replacement warranty. You replace it fior a lifetime. You may get stuck on the side of the road & have to get towed, be down for up to 4 days & possibly hurt the VP44 in the process. Get quotes for an equivelant FASS pump. No real complaints about them. My FRRP was leaking fuel out the wiring (GLAD it's not a gasoline pump!!!!!!!) & I called for my warranty replacement. They told me my SN was registered to a "Brian". I had to call the vendor to email a recipt. 4 days later I get a shiny new pump with wildly fluctuating pressures. I won't even bother with another warranty pup from them at all !!!! A friend has replaces 4 Airdogs along with associated downtime.....Call FASS themselves to find out if they can get you some kind of deal to stay away from Purejunk products.Ed

QC has been a problem with all of them, particularly the entry level pumps. The OEM replacements seem to be almost as problematic as the OEM's themselves and I believe it is largely due to placement issues. I have an AD100 mounted on the frame rail and I also have my OEM block mounted Carter pump. I took an IR reading on a hot summer day after running the truck 100 miles pulling 9k lbs. The Carter pump (which isn't even running) was over 20* hotter than my frame mounted AD that was running the entire time. I don't know how much hotter that Carter would have been if it was running but I believe it would have been a substantial difference. Between temperature, vibration, and having to pull UNFILTERED fuel the length of the truck, they are destined for failure from the get go. BTW, the AD Raptor motors and the AD100 are the exact same motor. You don't see nearly as many AD failures as you do Raptors,. Main difference being location....

The reason I left my Carter in place was for a back up. It is tied into the fuel system with a TEE and a series of valves. Should my AD fail it is simply a matter of installing the discharge of the Carter back into the OEM filter housing, plugging it in, and switching 2 valves around under the truck. I make enough long distance road trips I wanted the extra insurance and going this route only costs a few extra bucks and a little time if you've already got a spare pump. I used to just carry it as a spare in the tool box but would rather not be on the side of the road trying to figure out how to splice another pump in line in the dark or the cold or whatever. Hopefully I never need to use it but if I do I can be back on the road in less than 10 minutes.

My AD100 with a Raptor motor...

Posted Image

JR

Wow lots if feedback on that post. Diesel4life that's a great set up u have there!! I'd like to use my carter as a back as well but am not able to find a video on how to connect it all up but will continue the hunt for one! Mopar1973Man as far as the fuel pressure gauge goes yes I need one very badly!!!! I am still on the hunt for one I'm thinking about going mechanical for a less chance of interference should any electrical issues arise. Been looking for a video on how to put one in since I've never done anything like that before. So far no luck but will continue the search. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mopar1973Man ok so I've talked to AirDog and I told them I needed a 120 micron filter and they had said they only carry a 2!!! Any ideas on where I can get that 120 inline filter? I find it weird that a place that sales Fuel Pumps only caries a (2) Maybe there was some misunderstanding there. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get an Airdog, you don't need the inline filter because the fuel goes through the water separator first. If you get a raptor than you need one, but you can get them from any parts store. Just make sure its 1/2" in/out and is barbed so all you have to use is hose clamps.The 2 micron filter is what goes on the Airdog (along with the water separator). The smaller the number, the better the filtration.

OK I need some help here.... I have the extended cab with short bed and I am working on installing the AirDog 150, I have been struggling with where/ how to mount it. I like the idea of mounting it under the t case skid plate but the brackets that came with the AD are the two plates that mount on the frame... which sounds like a stealer idea but I just don't think there is enough room to do that especially with the other lines running along the frame there. I have been looking at other install pics this afternoon and apparently there was at one time a bracket for us short bed folks, that has since been continued... Looking at your install pics mr. MoparMan I see that you mounted the pump perpendicular rather than parallel which is what I would like to do however I haven't found an easy way to do that with out welding my own bracket, which frankly I just don't have time or equipment to do... I have already dropped the fuel tank and modified the fuel module with the vulcan DrawStraw set up... so now I have a tank on the garage floor basically... and no where to mount my AD... SO any solutions or suggestions? This install has already taken me a lot longer than I thought it would, but part of that can be attributed to trying to do this by myself with a healing broken leg and the fact that I have only had time after dinner to work on it... UGH! I have read a few different places where some people have used a large piece of angle iron and bolted it to the bracket and the bed support strut? Part of my problem is that my brother offered to help me drop the fuel tank since I am working solo on this and he I think was afraid that I was going to hurt myself attempting it... So he actually unbolted the support straps and bed strap, and since I didn't mount the AD first I am struggling with where I can mount it so that it will be protected by the skid plate but will still fit in front of fuel tank... IF anyone has pictures of what they did I would be GRATEFUL, or even a picture of the old bracket for shortbeds... I think if I can just see that I will be able to figure out what my plan of action is.

I think most after market pumps mount outside of the frame, not inside. I have mine mounted between the frame and the outside of the bed and there is plenty of room there. I could be wrong in my thinking here but I was pretty sure that's where the aftermarket pumps were mounted. Then you just run your fuel lines over the frame to the top of the tank module.

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/8583-AirDog-2-165-install I always install them on the outside of the frame on short box trucks, its just not worth the struggle to mount them on the inside. I also run my wiring and fuel line up to the filter through the frame. There will be a large hole up towards the front of the frame and another by the transfer case.

I just don't like the fact that the pump eats everything the tire kicks back when they're mounted on the outside of the frame.... JR

That's what I didn't like about mounting it on the outside of the frame... Especially since all of the roads around here are dirt... Even when I took extra time to pressure wash the bottom of the truck before pulling it into the garage to work on it, the fuel tank was/ is filthy.... and since we drive the truck on some less than ideal roads (poorly maintained forest service roads) to go camping, hiking, take the dogs to the river etc... I wanted to take the extra min and see whether I could figure out a way to mount the AD under the skid plate, but I think that mounting it outside the frame is really the only option. Maybe I can fashion some sort of cover for it, a mini skid plate of sorts to help protect it against all the debris the tires fling at it and give it a little more protection when going on those nasty back roads that have crazy dips that I try to take at an angle to minimize bottoming out... UGH... NO simple solutions... Looking at your profile pic it looks like we have very similar trucks (JR)... Mine is also red, a 99 and an extended cab with short bed... Thank you all for your quick responses

I just don't like the fact that the pump eats everything the tire kicks back when they're mounted on the outside of the frame.... JR

I just took a black plastic mud flap for an 18 wheeler, cut it down some and made a guard to protect the pump and my inline filter there. I cut one side so it followed the curve of the bed. Keeps everything nice and clean down there too.