• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Dead Pedal

On my way home from work the other day, on the freeway, my truck started to hiccup a bit. It got worse by the minute and within about 5 miles, the truck would only respond to the throttle when it wanted to, dead pedal. I thought right away my VP had gone bad. I hobbled home and checked the codes. My OBD2 scan tool showed 0122, The truck showed P ECU, P 1693, P 0500, P 1475, P 0122. I ordered a Blue Chip VP-44 and installed it this morning, no change. I went down to the Dodge dealership and picked up a Bellcrank and installed that, no change. When I push down on the throttle, there is no response. If I push and hold the throttle, at any position, even slight, it eventually starts to rev, sometimes it will rev all the way to redline. I'm not sure where to try next. Btw, fuel pressure maintains at 17 PSI, Fuel relay is fine, removed the Juice w/Attitude, still no change. Need Help.

Did you calibrate the APPS sensor? I am pretty sure even buying the entire belle crank assembly the sensor still needs calibrated....BTW, APPS sensors are available online by themselves without having to purchase the entire assembly for a third or less of the price. I havent priced them recently but last I knew they were well over $600, the sensor can be had by itself for less than $200. Just looked up the 1475 as I am not familiar with that one, if that is the code your truly getting, you may be having an ecm issue. 1475 is a fan circuit code which is non existent on your truck. Check the connection at the ecm on the block and make sure it is secure and corrosion free. Also check for proper voltage, low voltage can make the ecm go nuts although I have never heard of it throw a non existent code. JR

I considered buying the aftermarket APPS but I didn't want to pay for another week on a rental. My day job keeps me pretty busy and the dealer gave ,e a break on the assembly, $435, I figured it was a wash if I could drop it in and it would be done. The dealer said it was pre-set and didn't need to be calibrated. Is there something I need to do to introduce it to the ECM? I miss my truck.

They would know better than I, I was not positive how the bell crank assy works I've only replaced the individual sensor. They have gone down in price in the last few years but that is probably because the aftermarket sensors are much cheaper and have proven as reliable. The 1475 code is troubling, the few ecms that I have personally seen go belly up would spit random codes out like your seeing. Have you cleared the codes to see what comes back? A trip to the dealer to have the ecm reflashed may be in order. It will cost you an hours shop time but would probably be the easiest way to confirm or eliminate it as being the problem.JR

The revving you are speaking of is what mine did when the ECM crapped out, though I had a lot more codes than you. From what I know about the oe bell crank assembly it comes with the oe style TPS and has to be calibrated with a DVM, not sure just thinking out loud. I think I would start with the TPS and work that problem out first and hope it is no the ECM.

You basically just read the voltage signal coming out of the APPS sensor with the DVM. There is a spec that the output needs to be but I don't remember it. You just use that little hex screw on the front of the APPS sensor to adjust it within spec. When I did my Timbo APPS it came with that spec and instructions on how/ where to measure that voltage. Really simple procedure.

• Owner

Before this get all mixed up. Timbo APPS does NOT have a voltage setting. It only got a slack setting. With the throttle arm free from the idle screw check the voltage this will be what you want. Then screw the idle stop screw in till the voltage rises now STOP! Then back off till you reach you starting voltage. Then take a extra 1/2 turn off then your done. Now do a APPS reset by pulling the battery cables loose for a 15-30 minutes.

• Like 1

I bought the OE version from Dodge. Do I need to disconnect my battery so it can reset itself or should it be ready to go after it's plugged in? I called and talked to the guy at Blue Chip and he thinks I need an ECM. I don't have anyone near by that has a2002 truck that I can swap the ECM with to confirm that is the issue before I spend a pant loaf of cash on another part. Is it cheaper to get the ECM through Cummins?