• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

South Bend Clutch's?

CumminStrong

Hello,So it may be time soon to replace my 180K stock clutch. I just replaced master and slave hydraulics. This is on a 03 2500 with NV5600. I have been looking at SB as my replacement. Here is a question from those that have run them and what they experienced. I tow about 10k - 19K during the summer with a dump trailer, hauling large 8x4 hay bales and equipment. The stock as done just fine during all this hauling but I dont try to drive it like it was not loaded either. The rest of the year/winter, I use it as a daily driver to work and back home. Wife drives the rig so I need something that is not hard on the knee or engages aggressively either. Want to still drive off in 2nd without major shakes and backup a good load without the whole "use low gear" idea. The only major power upgrade is a Smarty running at #7 for fuel milage, not romping around. Rest stock.Here are the choices: 1947-OK-HD or 1947-OFEK Appreciate the advice in advance.Jeremy

Go with hd. I have installed three and two of the guys tow with them and love them

I was thinking the same thing but didnt want to limit anything from the OFE clutch for a few dollars more.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

That is good to hear the CON OFE does well. How is the tow manners with it?

So what gets me is if the Con OFE does very well then why did SB feel like they needed a fully organic 3 inch surface? Some have said that it will hold as good as the OFE with the larger surface area and it makes it engage smother than other smaller plates. :shrug:You dont have issues taking off in 2nd gear with the OFE? How heavy have you towed with it and how did it do?Thanks,

• Staff

I have the OFE and like it a lot, my dad has the HD and it is a softer/smoother clutch. SW7 on the Smarty is at the edge of what the OFE can hold, but if your stock lasted 180K then you should be fine with either the HD or OFE. Why SW7? You should get the same mileage on a lower setting, one that your turbo can handle.. and your clutch.

I have the OFE and like it a lot, my dad has the HD and it is a softer/smoother clutch. SW7 on the Smarty is at the edge of what the OFE can hold, but if your stock lasted 180K then you should be fine with either the HD or OFE. Why SW7? You should get the same mileage on a lower setting, one that your turbo can handle.. and your clutch.

I slipped the OEM clutch a few times with the Edge Juice on level 4. I've run the Smarty on SW7 hard with the OFE a number of times…………………..I even towed with it on SW7 a few times……………………the Smarty gives you more low end…………….the Juice gives more top end. I can break the tires loose on my truck on SW5 with my trailer in tow in the lower gears on dry pavement if I choose to………………….which I don't do. Done it a few times unintentionally though. OFE is still going strong.

• 4 weeks later...