• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

01 head gasket recall ?

This sparked my curiosity so I went through all the TSBs and recalls from 98-02 and did not see anything about a headgasket. I would be interested if you could find that notification.One thing I did find of interest that I had never heard of was TSB-09-002-02 for all 98-02 Cummins engines. It was a R&R of the tappet cover with a provision for the breather like the 12 valves had. I did not know such a TSB ever existed. I do know that if I ever have to remove my tappet cover for any reason I will be replacing it with a 12 valve style cover. I wish I could get my hands on one for a templet to modify mine, I'm sure it isn't anything a hole saw and a little TIG welding couldnt handle.

I had an 89 Toyota pick up in 07 I received a notice in the mail about 6 months after I owned it that there was a recall for the steering system. I'm trying to remember what it was, possibly a pitman arm? Or something similar I can't recall. I took it into the Toyota dealer (who can pass on free parts and a complimentary alignment?) And had it done.JR

I had an 89 Toyota pick up in 07 I received a notice in the mail about 6 months after I owned it that there was a recall for the steering system. I'm trying to remember what it was, possibly a pitman arm? Or something similar I can't recall. I took it into the Toyota dealer (who can pass on free parts and a complimentary alignment?) And had it done. JR

I must be thinking of emission crap then......

Tom you may be right and maybe Toyota voluntarily put the recall out? The truck I bought had also been sitting for several years with a blown motor. I stripped it down, honed the cylinders out, put in new pistons, rings, crank, timing, set, oil and water pump, and put a low mileage head from another motor on it. That was an awesome little pick up, wish I still had it.JR

I received a post card mailer from a law office a few years ago about a class action lawsuit against cummins. It pertained to the owners who had 53 blocks that failed. It said if you had one and it cracked, you could be entitled to a $500 settlement, only if you fixed it and had the receipts to prove it. I assume a fix was a not the lock n stitch, but engine replacement. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read this.

well i just got the truck out of the shop. i noticed a funny smell so i opened the hood. everything looks ok, but i noticed that head heas some new paint on it. not spray paint either. looks like a thick shiny industrial paint that is burning off. they said the head was worped and has to be machined. ok do it. on the way home i thought to my self, where is all the power ? then i thought no worries your just being noid and take it easy on the new parts. but yet another thought crossed my mind. how can i know for sure that i got the right head back that belongs on the H.O. 5.9L TD ???

have to disagree on that one, unless you know something these http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/24v.html people don't. please enlighten me.

I think you answered your own question if you read through the entire article. To quote them, "HO models offered higher compression, fuel refinements, and added timing". The added compression (17:1 HO vs 16.3:1 SO) was accomplished with slightly different pistons. There were no changes in the heads. JR