• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Got the new lights on the trailer and hooked up rerady to go...

YabbaDoo

Is that a 7 foot or 8 foot wide trailer? Most people in my area are all going to the 8 foot with living quarters for the extra room. I have looked at them and can see why, there isn't much room to start with so that extra foot makes a huge difference.I can't believe you like that trailer with the axles at the way rear, it has got to put a lot of weight on the tow rig and corner horrible.I actually saw one this summer that went to other way, took a big newer toy hauler camper and modified the back for horses. I had to ask him why and he said he wanted more and nicer room for himself but he said a tow hauler is way cheaper than a horse trailer with living quarters, I had to look at some prices and almost fell over at what new horse trailers with living quarters sell for :thud:and realized he had a brilliant idea and saved 20-30K on top of it.Should move this thread to the trailer section.:2cents:

• Like 1

This is my Custom Fab gooseneck horse trailer. Trailer is 7 foot wide. Posted Image 2 horse straight load with a 8 foot tack / dressing room. We ordered it without an interior forward because a camper would leave us no room for our primitive gear.. and we loaded it heavy with our big camp. Cornering? No problem at all. Yes, even all aluminum, it has considerable tongue weight. Being a gooseneck, the weight is centered on the rear axle... I'm 8800 gvw truck & only single rear wheels. The tongue weight is more than I expected but a side effect of having a full size door in the manger. I would have made that door narrower if I had it to do again. The tongue weight was only an issue hand cranking the landing gear to unhook.

Posted Image

I don't think a toy hauler would be strong enough to haul horses who are not just dead weight but can physically exert considerable force. My toy hauler is quite high where my horse trailer has dropped axles & the horses are little more than a foot off the ground. The extra height of a toy hauler makes the live load top heavy. I do not like that idea at all.

• Like 1

I wish I would have looked at it closer, I think it had montana plates on it. It was just one of those what the heck does he have going on there moments and twist my neck looking as I walked by his set up at a rodeo this summer, so I had to ask him a few question in passing.

I used to have 20 horses... Now just the 3 and the 1 cow...So even if I take 10 extra feet and turn it into living quarters I still have a 4 horse hauler... The tires at the rear do present a bit of a turning challenge, however if you think ahead and know that you have a 25' swing you are ok.... (old truck reg cab 20' swing...) I had to recalculate after taking the trailer for a spin:thumb1: I have been hauling it with the 94 1500 for the last 8 years so I had a bit of a learning curve to readjust the new swing... At least I think ahead and know where my rig will fit and where it won't...:thumb1: Oh and the trailer is only 6 1/2' wide :doh: