• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Questions about Shell "Fit" diesel

Shell has introduced a new diesel in my area, they call it FIT diesel. They claim to have corrosion inhibitors, anti gel and anti wear protection added. The station by me has had in the past 10% bio diesel. So i did not run any two stroke in that. I want to ask the company some questions as they also claim to have raised the cetane level in the new fuel. If you google shell fit diesel they have a FAQ section on their site but have very vague answers. I guess my question is, what do i specifically ask them for? Cetane score? HHFR score? What? Anyone that knows diesel may be able to decipher what it is saying but i can't. Do i run two stroke with this new diesel? Will mileage suffer?

• Staff

I would stay away from something that gives nothing but vague answers . IMO I would stay with the known good stuff and 2 stroke oil. Maybe others won't fall for it either and they'll stop selling it. Sounds like another sales pitch is all.

When I saw it I figured it was a fuel designed for the newer diesels with the EGR and DPF's.I didn't look at the price per/litre or gallon, but when I asked the attendant about it, he said the price is the same and that they are not allowed to charge extra for the additives due to gov't regulations? No idea why...I can't see them adding something and not making extra money from it. What would be the point of that? Surely it's not something to help the paying customer out:rolleyes:

• Owner

Rule of thumb higher the cetane lower the BTU's hence lower the MPG's.

Posted Image

US regulations state that all fuel must meet the 520 HFRR score. It may or may not be improved or lower in score. Most all spec sheets I find state 520 HFRR for non-biofuels.

http://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-for-motorists/fuels/diesel/shell-diesel-fit---fuel-injection-technology/how-does-new-shell-diesel-fit-provide-precision-protection-.html

http://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-for-motorists/fuels/diesel/shell-diesel-fit---fuel-injection-technology/ten-questions-about-shell-diesel-fit.html

I would assume being there is no other information its market hype.

Anti-Wear: Shell Diesel FiT is formulated to help provide additional anti-wear protection for your diesel engine exceeding minimum government quality standards.

How much? Not stated.
  • Like 1

All fuel suppliers have to abide by the same federal requirements. They aren't going to invest anything that isnt mandated because it cuts into profits. Hate to say it but probably just marketing hype. If it's a high volume station you should have no problems. I tend to use the same 2 stations locally owned by the same person. He has an interest in all his fuel because he owns a fleet of tractor trailers and a ton of construction equipment and uses his fuel for his equipment. I see him out there personally checking tanks so I know hes up on the wheel.If I cant get from either place I try to use a popular station with high turn over rate. JR

I was at another Shell station and instead of the FIT diesel, they were advertising "Power Service". It looks like they have joined up with them and use them as an additive. I know its marketing, just look at all of the crap they say about gasoline with its detergents and anti "Gunk" cleaners. I have to laugh because they sound like they are markiting to a bunch of soccer moms in mini vans, "This fuel cleans Gunk out of your engine, buy it". Yeah, Ok.

I' confused a litlle about cetane, Why do they say it raises cetane levels and performance when by looking at the charts that raising cetane lowers btu and hurts performance?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess another question would be that I see alot of additives, saying that they raise cetane, why do the additive folks want to raise cetane?

• Owner

Cetane thing has always been viewed like octane higher the better. Thats backwards.

post-2-138698211589_thumb.jpg

Right out of the ASTM testing labs documents for Cetane.

The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability."

• Like 1