• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Installing Tranny temp gauge

I am in the process of installing boost, pyro, fp and tranny gauges in my truck. So far so good but I am not sure about the tranny temp assembly. Where does the sensor go? Where is the best place to install the electronic control block?If anyone has knowledge and/or pictures I would appreciate your help.Thanks,Arcwelder

I am in the process of installing boost, pyro, fp and tranny gauges in my truck. So far so good but I am not sure about the tranny temp assembly. Where does the sensor go? Where is the best place to install the electronic control block? If anyone has knowledge and/or pictures I would appreciate your help. Thanks, Arcwelder

What year rig do you have and what is the electronic control block for? Give us a description of what you drive so we can better help you out.

The best place for the trans temp sensor is in the hot converter out tranny cooler line "The front one" on the driverside of the tranny. If you have an older 12valve second gen it will have a sensor in a line there already for the idiot light in the dash which is worthless and can be replaced with the temp sensor for the gauge. If not you can buy the line from a chrysler dealer, it is by far the best and most accurate place for the temp sensor. Don't bother with installing the sensor in the pan, by the time it reads hot there you have already done the damage. The oil in the pan is the oil that has returned from the cooler already and is the coldest place to measure the temps at. I can look up the Chrysler part # for the sensor ready cooler line if anyone is interested. I did this on my 02 and it is really nice to see instantly how driving habits/conditions affect tranny temps.

Edited by Wild and Free

I can look up the Chrysler part # for the sensor ready cooler line if anyone is interested. I did this on my 02 and it is really nice to see instantly how driving habits/conditions affect tranny temps.I should set up my sig line.Could youplease get me the part#?I have an 01 2500 Ram Diesel w/no mods yet. Will be installing a Fass pump and Quad XZT which I already have once my gauges are in.

What year rig do you have and what is the electronic control block for? Give us a description of what you drive so we can better help you out.

I'm not sure if its called a control box (probably not)but its where the wires from the sensing probe run into. From there the wires go to the gauge. I would take some photos but unfortunately our camera broke down over the holidays:bang:

I tried it there and it doesn't flow enough oil through there to get an accurate reading, I tried things with 2 gauges and it did not read any different in the sertvo port than it did in the pan. The only accurate place is in the hot cooler line exit. DTT and other tranny builders actually want you to monitor temps for trannies in the cooler line also, DTT actually makes and sell a ine with temp port in it also but is really expensive, I think The OEM line with the temp port is in the 80-90 buck range.

Edited by Wild and Free

That's good info. I want one now for my truck too. I think when I open my new repair shop I will have a list of all the upgrades available for the Dodge Cummins trucks and ppl can just tell me what they want when they book their truck in, eg: Lift pump kit and big line, clean AIT and MAP sensors, gauge pack install, test and reset apps, valve lash, winter front installed, etc.

• 1 year later...