• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

In 9/2012 my tail pipe rusted out so I had a new tailpipe put on. Now the muffler has rusted out in the front where the resonator connects. The the muffler going in is 4" and coming out is 3"My truck is completely stock and I've only put 4000 miles on it in since 10/2011 So my questions are.What if any advantage is their to delete the muffler and just go 4" from the resonator back.What if any advantage is their to delete the muffler and neck down from 4" at the resonator to 3" that is the stock size of the tailpipe.The muffler shop wants around $250 for the new muffler. Money isn't really the issue here. It's just the fact that I really don't drive the truck that much.

Well, depending on how your state is, you may or may not be able to get away with doing a straight pipe. Some places define the turbo as a muffling device and do not require a muffler. My truck is straight piped. No extras to it. It can be kinda loud, but I have always like it. It would be the cheapest way to go and if you did it all in 4" you would never have to buy it again.4" is pretty big although and if you never plan on doing anything to it except occasionally driving with it, stick with the 3". From what my exhaust guy tells me, he is not aware of any exhaust shop that can bend 4" pipe. The reason being that it is so expensive for a shop to own such a machine to do it with. Thats why most of your large exhaust kits have to be special ordered.I did have a section of 4" pipe when I got the truck and replaced it with 3". I noticed about a 50-100 degree difference in EGT's. But a 3" pipe is good up to quit a bit of horsepower. Mike could tell you...

Get 4" turbo back exhaust wih muffler. You cant find it on the internet with free shipping for under 400. Ive used mbrp and silverline. He bigger down pipe will help it get rid of heat a little better. Ive done many 4 " on 2nd and 3rd gens and it isnt too loud. 5" is http://www.xtremediesel.com/MBRP4PerformanceSeriesTurboBackExhaustSystemS6100P.aspx

Get 4" turbo back exhaust wih muffler. You cant find it on the internet with free shipping for under 400. Ive used mbrp and silverline. He bigger down pipe will help it get rid of heat a little better. Ive done many 4 " on 2nd and 3rd gens and it isnt too loud. 5" is too much.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.xtremediesel.com/MBRP4PerformanceSeriesTurboBackExhaustSystemS6100P.aspx

Aren't the 2nd gens 3" pipe from the turbo back???? He'll need an adapter, no???

My tail pipe rusted out & fubally disconnected from the muffler. I removed it before it could damage anything else. I ran with just the muffler... sooted up the whole underside of the truck... stock motor. Then the rear end of the muffler can fell out. I bought an all SS turbo back kit off ebay. Worked fine. I had to heat a few of the welded on supports to get proper fit. The 'muffler' is a glass pack straight through can. It sounded good running empty & the wife wore ear plugs towing heavy (camper). I put a FTE swirl resonator in as far forward as I could get it. Not quiet but much more livable. It would have been less work to put the resonator in at original installation. There are 2 grades of SS exhaust. The more expensive takes a better polish (I could care less). The less expensive (most of mine except the straight through muffler & tip) are just as rust resistant. I will never have to replace the system again.