• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

19.5's on the way!!

AH64ID

• Staff

There are several OEM aluminum wheels, I have one set that has solid spokes, I think forged, and one set that has the back of the spokes shaped like a bowl (those are obviously lighter) which I believe are cast.

My truck came from the factory with Steel Wheels, they weigh 42lbs and the OEM 265/70R17 LTX's weigh 48lbs so my OEM weight was 90 lbs.

I swapped to OEM forged aluminum wheels and best I can tell they are 24.5 lbs, with my 255/80R17 KM2's at 54lbs for a total weight of  78.5lbs.

I also run the cast alum OEM wheels with OEM tires for my summer setup, those wheels are 28.2lbs for a total of 76.2lbs.

The new setup will be 45lbs for the wheel and 79 for the tire, for a total of 124lbs. A 37% increase over stock, and a 57% increase over what I run now.

Nearly all accounts are that the rolling resistance is enough lower that the increase in unsprung weight doesn't decrease economy, and generally mileage improves.

As far as the weight on the wheel bearings, and ball joints I don't think it's an issue either. The balljoints are already Dynatrac's, and the front wheel bearings are a bit bigger with the Spin Free, and spaced better to handle the weight. In doing some research it seems the bearings used on the Yukon kit are also used on the rear of some F-450's...

• Like 1

• Staff

Good news: Truck is at Les Schwab right now.

Bad news: For liability reasons they will not remount the tires with the centramatics. Seems silly to me, but oh well. They are putting counteract beads in the tires, so the effect should be the same. I will sell the centramatics, they are a great product but I am not going to install them myself every time I do a winter/summer swap. $180 shipped, my loss your gain.

Good news: Truck is at Les Schwab right now.

Bad news: For liability reasons they will not remount the tires with the centramatics. Seems silly to me, but oh well. They are putting counteract beads in the tires, so the effect should be the same. I will sell the centramatics, they are a great product but I am not going to install them myself every time I do a winter/summer swap. $180 shipped, my loss your gain.

I'm kind of surprised they even mounted the 19.5s if theyre playing the liability card. As you well know alot of your common tire chain stores will not install anything other than what is on the door sticker. Why didn't you just install them yourself?

• Staff

Yeah it is interesting. The beads seem to work, smooth as glass at up to 75.

I like the service that comes with Les Schwab, and the free summer/winter swaps if I put the tires in the bed. I don't want to have to that every year, my gym is 100 yards from Schwab so I just drop it off and walk over to workout for rotations etc.

Every rotation, any flat repairs, etc would me me having to remount them at home afterwards.

They gave me a good deal on the beads, and I will sell the Centramatics. Only issue with the beads is they only work on 1 tire. It sucks after I spent all the time fitting them, but this is just as smooth.

Did you have any trouble getting the spare up into the storage area?  Is it tight and did the little tire winch pull it up alright?

What are your first impressions of the ride without any real weight on the truck?  Is it notably harsher than with your LRE tires?

They look nice on your truck.  Hope they work out well for you.

• Staff

I haven't swapped out the spare yet, that will be today. I don't expect any issues, the tire is almost exactly the same dimensions as my 255/80/17. I do use a ratchet strap to hold it aft and away from the MH diff cover.

Initial impression is good, on normal roads they track very well, ride is smooth and stable. They do track a crappy road more than expected, but they are new and the road out of kuna is horrible and failing again. On I-84 into town they were as smooth as any tire I have ran, a friend with them had them traditionally balanced and it took multiple trips so I highly recommend a form of dynamic balancing.

They are really reduced body roll around town, not quite as much as the swaybar did, but noticeable. They are at 50psi in all 4 corners where the KM2s were at 50/35, but even with them aired up these are more stable.

They are stiffer, and it's noticeable but harsh is not what I would say about them. Truck probably weights 4900/4000 running around right now.

I am going to email Toyo for an inflation table.

When are you getting your installed?