• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Getting ready to replace heater core, question about AC Freon

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to replace my heater core based on Mopar's article on the site.  It looks really straight forward other than this step:

Discharge the freon from the Air Conditioning System

I understand I'm going to have to recharge the AC system after replacing my heater core.  What is the process of discharging the freon prior to removal?

Legally or otherwise?? :lol3:  Legally you need to use a recovery machine to extract the refrigerant and store it in a tank. If you were able to do that then you could put the refrigerant back into the system AFTER you pull a good vacuum on the system. It is also recommended that you replace the filter/dryer anytime you open the system.

Edited by MnTom

• Owner

So you wouldn't recommend I take a stick, jam it in the fill hole and drain it that way?

It would do the job but the problem is as you vent it wildly like that now you got to drain the oil from the system and remeasure it. Because you have no idea how much PAG oil has now been blown out of the system. So if you have manifold gauge set and a vacuum pump you can slowly and controlled vent the freon without venting much oil from the system. Too little oil will damage the compressor. Too much oil will put excessive strain on the compressor.

Well I got the freon removed from the system.  I can not for the life of me get the AC lines off that run to the AC Evaporator core.  I went and bought the plastic clamps that slide over the line but I still can not get them apart.  Any ideas?

• Owner

Well I got the freon removed from the system.  I can not for the life of me get the AC lines off that run to the AC Evaporator core.  I went and bought the plastic clamps that slide over the line but I still can not get them apart.  Any ideas?

Yes. Slide the white collar up as tight as possible and then lightly twist the line back and forth. The rubber o-ring will tend to stick in place and need a bit of twisting action to get them started sometimes.

Well I just split my HVAC box to clean my AC Evaporator.  When I went to put it back together I noticed this piece had fallen out from somewhere.  I've tried every little spot on this hvac box but have not been able to find where it goes.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Obviously otherwise, I'm doing this is in my driveway lol.  Not too worried about recharging my AC until this summer.  

I would recomend recharging as soon as you can,the longer the system has air in it the more likely you are to have problems later on in the trucks life if you are planning to keep it

Moisture in the system will combine with the oil to help form acids. Like Mike said, pull a vacuum, BUT put atleast one can of R-134A in it to keep some pressure in the system. Otherwise where there is a slight leak it will suck in air and moisture and you will be back to where you are now.