• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hard Starts On John Deere 455

JAG1

• Staff

My tractor has been running great for 13 years. Has about 800 hrs. All of a sudden it has very hard starts but, once it runs,  it's very smooth at idle and any throttle position.

There is no water in fuel, no water in oil and has a new  fuel filter. Air filter minder still shows good only moving about 1/4 of the way to the red warning line.

It has white smoke while cranking and then clears up and runs real good. It will start again real good, no hard start, if run again within about an hour.

I cleaned all electrical and checked fuel pump fuse connector and put in new fuse even though old one was good.

Do any you guys know what else I should look for?

It's a 3 cylinder Yanmar 22 hp.

Thanks very much

Mike

Edited by JAG1

If you've always started it with the throttle set at minimum idle and it now starts easier with the throttle set in a higher position it is likely time to have the pump and injectors gone through.

I have the service manual for the 455 if you'd like it.

• Staff

Thanks bh,  Thought it might be something major like that too.

After doing some research (should research before posting), I found that it is a common problem when the glow plugs stop working. It causes hard starts on cold days. Common symptom is the white smoke, hard starts and then runs fine once started.

It's either the glow plug relay or the electrical module. Relay is typically a lot cheaper if that is the problem.

Now to locate correct relay and test.

Thanks again.....

• Staff

My volt meter is showing no 12 volts DC to the glow plugs.

I want to make sure I am checking correct... if you guys know .... I put the + probe to the top of the glow plug and the other - probe to the neg. battery terminal ? Is that right? Turn key on of course.

Getting a little older means loosing a bit of confidence in things.... so any help is good. Thanks everyone

Edited by JAG1

Then what I would do is start back tracing the wiring until I found the relay. Another thing to do is ohm out the glow plugs. They should all be about the same, but have been known to ohm out correctly and still fail. They are a 'consumable' part on anything they are used on. Back to the wiring, make sure you have power getting to the load side of the relay. Also check to make sure you have power getting to the coil side of the relay.

• Staff

I talked with a service tech at JD. They were very polite and helpful about getting a tech on the phone with me. I want you guys to know that I especially think they have an unusual business policy about how well they treat the customers. They will for certain get my business.

Anyhow he told me the only way to check for 12v to the glow plugs was to disconnect the main feed from the GP's. He told me how to test ea. GP on the bench and I found the middle cylinder GP not working and another was very slow to glow.

He said many times when the GP's aren't working that you will get loads of smoke. I'm guessing more so when adding 2 stroke oil.

Tomorrow I'll have new glow plugs and the battery back in to check for 12v to the main wire before connecting to the new gp's.

Thank you guys....Mike

• Like 1

• Owner

I tend to watch both sides of the filter media (outer and inner) if the outer media is packed then tap or shake the majority. Then looking at the inner media for discoloring. Filter minder is a good tool but still there is nothing better than visual inspections to be sure.

Glow plug sure do make a huge difference in starting on a cold morning. If the glow plugs are marginal or non-functional then hard starting can be noticed. But like others have said I would check power all the way down from the batteries to the glow plugs themselves to be sure there is good strong power reaching.

But being you mention you had weak glow plugs at least its a easy fix for you.

• Like 1

• Staff

After I get the battery back in I'll be following back on the wiring. Seems to run better just from cleaning  a few connectors but, when trying to start, it looks like someone should call the fire dept from all the smoke.

Earlier I forgot to mention the name of the John Deere dealership. Pretty sure they are all around the country... called PAPE' MACHINERY. They sell heavy equipment and all sizes of John Deere tractors for homeowners, ranchers, farmers.

Thanks for the heads up on the filter minder. I'll be checking that too.

I've been out of work for a few weeks. So far, thanks to you guys for the advice, I've fixed my First gen from running very poorly,  then the water heater, kitchen faucet, bathroom drain, replaced some deck boards, pressure washed everything, cleaned up the shop.

Dang-it .... so motivated.... what else can I fix 'round here. :thumb1:

• Staff

Okay... it seems this trouble with the glow plugs keeps getting deeper.

I found that the glow plug control module is also burned up. This happens quit frequent on the JD 455 and one of the reasons is when a glow plug goes bad it often burns up the circuit board in the module. A new module is over $200.

So I thought about putting on a momentary switch for a manual control..... count 10- 20 seconds, let off the switch and then start it up. Sounds good since I can get a heavy amp waterproof switch / and/or add a relay.

The problem with this, I'm finding out, isthat a guy can crack the heating tip causing pieces of the tip to fall into a cylinder if they overheat.

At this point I'm so thankful and you guys should too, that our Cummins engines have no GP's.

Easiest solution..... get a block heater.

What do you guys think? Will it work?

Thanks for the input around here too. It helps a lot

Edited by JAG1

well,   if it was me,   I'd do the   momentary switch..      Most    older equip  that   came  with  GP's   had   them  anyway. 

You  KNOW  your tractor...   and   probably have  a  good idea  on how long to  hold the  switch  for    various   temps.       

typically,    our    Bobcat   with the  Isuzu  diesel   will need         about    5 seconds   @    32,              10  seconds   @        15 ,       and   15  seconds  @   0*       (it's  got  a   countdown  display  on   'wait to  start' )

I  don't think   being off  a   couple of  seconds,  or even   5    is  going to   crack  your  gp's.     They are pretty tough!

• Like 1

• Staff

rancherman, I know you are right about that. I went out for breakfast with a buddy this morning and we discussed this. He said his KOBOTA is set up manually and there are no problems.

Even my little tractor has the glow plugs going for much longer on the module timer.

I thank you guys much for this topic staying alive till I got it worked out.

I Have all the parts now for this mod.

• Staff

Update: I put in the manual switch, new glow plugs, and wired everything in and the tractor fires up like it has new life :hyper:

I hold the button, count to ten and she fires right up.

I tell ya that  little 3 cylinder Yanmar has a lot of spunk for something that looks like it would fit in your back pocket.

It's a good investment for you younger guys....... always go ahead and get the diesel.

In the long run it will pay you back when your older... never having to buy another with a big expense.